"Poet" in Quenya?

  • lothlinnen
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 10, 2003
      (I posted this question in elfling, but the moderator said I had
      better ask this group. Hopefully a kind soul in here can help me?)

      I had a hard time finding the word "poet" in Elvish, until I found
      the "Book of Lost Words" Dictionary on the Fellowship of the Word-
      Smiths site.

      They took the Quenya word "laire" for "poem" and made it
      into "lairemo" for "poet".

      I have tried my hand at it in Tengwar, but am not sure if I am
      doing it correctly.

      I have uploaded a file, "PoetQuenya" into your FILES. Could
      someone please tell me if any of the four "lairemo" in Tengwar are
      correct?

      Thank you so much!

      ~Heather
    • elimloth
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 10, 2003
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "lothlinnen" <threedears@y...>
        wrote:
        [...]
        > I had a hard time finding the word "poet" in Elvish,

        Quenya...

        > [...] into "lairemo" for "poet".

        POET (noun)
        *lairemo - GLIR - P.Ti.

        OK, this is an unattested reconstruction developed by Petri Tikka.

        > [...] Could someone please tell me if any of the four "lairemo"
        > in Tengwar are correct?

        None are correct. Take a look at this transcription:

        Go to the following links for help on Tengwar transcription:
        http://gildor.freepage.gr/tolkien/realteng/guide.html
        http://www.forodrim.org/daeron/md_teng_primers.html

        Elimloth
      • lothlinnen