Re: [elfscript] (unknown)

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6, 2003
      On Wednesday, August 6, 2003, at 11:04 PM, amaswing wrote:

      > I was wondering if this Sindarin sentence is grammatically correct:
      > "Ae ú-esteliach nad, estelio han, estelio ammen, estelio veleth."

      Since the only measure of grammatical correctness of any Elvish phrase
      is the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien, and since this bit of "Sindarin"
      from the movies employs conjecture and outright invention not found in
      Tolkien's writings, then the answer can only be: no.

      For example: there is no evidence that *_ae_ is used in Sindarin for
      'if' (it is conjecture based on conjecture concerning Quenya). There is
      not a shred of evidence that any such verb as *_estelio_ existed in
      Sindarin (it is conjecture based on the noun _estel_ 'hope, faith').
      There is not a shred of evidence that any such ending as _-ch_ *'you'
      existed in Sindarin (it is based on an extremely unlikely conjecture
      from an as-yet-unpublished late-Noldorin/early-Sindarin composition).
      And so on.

      On the other hand, if you take all this conjecture as defining what is
      grammatical for Sindarin, then sure, it's grammatical. And 2 + 2 = 5,
      for sufficiently large values of 2.
    • John Cowan
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 6, 2003
        Carl F. Hostetter scripsit:

        > > I was wondering if this Sindarin sentence is grammatically correct:
        > > "Ae ú-esteliach nad, estelio han, estelio ammen, estelio veleth."
        >
        > Since the only measure of grammatical correctness of any Elvish phrase
        > is the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien, and since this bit of "Sindarin"
        > from the movies employs conjecture and outright invention not found in
        > Tolkien's writings, then the answer can only be: no.

        Hi, Carl.

        Since this is a list about JRRT's scripts, not his languages, the
        answer can only be "Mu".

        --
        John Cowan jcowan@... www.reutershealth.com www.ccil.org/~cowan
        Assent may be registered by a signature, a handshake, or a click of a computer
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 6, 2003
          On Thursday, August 7, 2003, at 12:07 AM, John Cowan wrote:

          > Hi, Carl.
          >
          > Since this is a list about JRRT's scripts, not his languages, the
          > answer can only be "Mu".

          LOL!
        • machhezan
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 11, 2003
            John Cowan wrote:
            > Since this is a list about JRRT's scripts, not his languages, the
            > answer can only be "Mu".

            Nice answer, excellent book, though I'd have written 'mu' (even though
            I like better nuumen - vala with right curl).

            suilaid
            mach hezan