  • amaswing
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6, 2003
      Hello again everyone!

      I was wondering if this Sindarin sentence is grammatically correct:
      "Ae ú-esteliach nad, estelio han, estelio ammen, estelio veleth."

      I also wanted to find out if this is the proper way to write it in
      Tengwar Sindarin:
      The image is located in the files section under the file
      name "estelio.doc" or you can download from:
      http://www.geocities.com/amaswing/Estelio.doc

      I would greatly appreciate the help. I was planning to include this
      line on my wedding program. Thanks all!

      Seanla
    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 6, 2003
        On Wednesday, August 6, 2003, at 11:04 PM, amaswing wrote:

        > I was wondering if this Sindarin sentence is grammatically correct:
        > "Ae ú-esteliach nad, estelio han, estelio ammen, estelio veleth."

        Since the only measure of grammatical correctness of any Elvish phrase
        is the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien, and since this bit of "Sindarin"
        from the movies employs conjecture and outright invention not found in
        Tolkien's writings, then the answer can only be: no.

        For example: there is no evidence that *_ae_ is used in Sindarin for
        'if' (it is conjecture based on conjecture concerning Quenya). There is
        not a shred of evidence that any such verb as *_estelio_ existed in
        Sindarin (it is conjecture based on the noun _estel_ 'hope, faith').
        There is not a shred of evidence that any such ending as _-ch_ *'you'
        existed in Sindarin (it is based on an extremely unlikely conjecture
        from an as-yet-unpublished late-Noldorin/early-Sindarin composition).
        And so on.

        On the other hand, if you take all this conjecture as defining what is
        grammatical for Sindarin, then sure, it's grammatical. And 2 + 2 = 5,
        for sufficiently large values of 2.
      • John Cowan
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 6, 2003
          Carl F. Hostetter scripsit:

          > > I was wondering if this Sindarin sentence is grammatically correct:
          > > "Ae ú-esteliach nad, estelio han, estelio ammen, estelio veleth."
          >
          > Since the only measure of grammatical correctness of any Elvish phrase
          > is the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien, and since this bit of "Sindarin"
          > from the movies employs conjecture and outright invention not found in
          > Tolkien's writings, then the answer can only be: no.

          Hi, Carl.

          Since this is a list about JRRT's scripts, not his languages, the
          answer can only be "Mu".

          --
          John Cowan jcowan@... www.reutershealth.com www.ccil.org/~cowan
          Assent may be registered by a signature, a handshake, or a click of a computer
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 6, 2003
            On Thursday, August 7, 2003, at 12:07 AM, John Cowan wrote:

            > Hi, Carl.
            >
            > Since this is a list about JRRT's scripts, not his languages, the
            > answer can only be "Mu".

            LOL!
          • machhezan
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 11, 2003
              John Cowan wrote:
              > Since this is a list about JRRT's scripts, not his languages, the
              > answer can only be "Mu".

              Nice answer, excellent book, though I'd have written 'mu' (even though
              I like better nuumen - vala with right curl).

              suilaid
              mach hezan