Tengwar encoding (was: Is the King's Letter mh a real tengwa?)

  • John Cowan
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6, 2003
      Eris scripsit:

      > Thank you for your rapid reply. It helps to clarify things for me. At the
      > moment, you see, I am experimenting with creating my own character encoding
      > for the tengwar.

      I strongly suggest that you look at
      http://www.evertype.com/standards/csur/tengwar.html , a character encoding
      developed by Michael Everson and me to fit into Unicode, the universal
      character encoding. Even if you are not set up to do Unicode, the
      Tengwar neatly occupy a block of 128 codes, so it could be used as the
      upper half of a 256-byte encoding with ASCII in the lower half.

      --
      John Cowan www.ccil.org/~cowan www.reutershealth.com jcowan@...
      "'My young friend, if you do not now, immediately and instantly, pull
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 6, 2003
        At 21:29 -0400 2003-08-06, John Cowan wrote:
        >Eris scripsit:
        >
        >> Thank you for your rapid reply. It helps to clarify things for me. At the
        >> moment, you see, I am experimenting with creating my own character encoding
        >> for the tengwar.
        >
        >I strongly suggest that you look at
        >http://www.evertype.com/standards/csur/tengwar.html , a character encoding
        >developed by Michael Everson and me to fit into Unicode, the universal
        >character encoding. Even if you are not set up to do Unicode, the
        >Tengwar neatly occupy a block of 128 codes, so it could be used as the
        >upper half of a 256-byte encoding with ASCII in the lower half.

        My current code table is a bit different from the one on that page,
        but it is a work in progress. I'm curious to know if anyone has made
        an implementation based on that one, however.
        --
        Michael Everson * * Everson Typography * * http://www.evertype.com