Re: [elfscript] Is the Kings Letter mh a real tengwa?

  • Eris
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6, 2003
      On Wednesday 06 August 2003 07:11 pm, DDanielA@... wrote:

      > As I stated in my last post, I doubt that this 'mh' was much used in later
      > Sindarin. ...

      *sigh*
      I must get caught up on old messages. Your post and several before it were
      sitting in my inbox when I posted my own message. I've been spending so much
      time on my word database project that I fell behind in reading current
      messages on this and other lists, and my inbox wasn't included in my search
      for previous postings.

      Thank you for your rapid reply. It helps to clarify things for me. At the
      moment, you see, I am experimenting with creating my own character encoding
      for the tengwar. The encodings used by Dan Smith and others are fine for
      normal use, but for my database I really want words to have representations
      that are as unique as possible - thus if nothing else I only want to use one
      character for each tehta, rather than 4 as in Mr. Smith's scheme. Working on
      this encoding is leading me into the odd corners of tengwar and issues like
      the mh tengwa are becoming important.

      --

      Eris Caffee - Nai i eleni siluvar tielyanna. Namariƫ. Moriel.

      I finally went to the eye doctor. I got contacts. I only need them to
      read, so I got flip-ups.
      -- Steven Wright
    • John Cowan
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 6, 2003
        Eris scripsit:

        > Thank you for your rapid reply. It helps to clarify things for me. At the
        > moment, you see, I am experimenting with creating my own character encoding
        > for the tengwar.

        I strongly suggest that you look at
        http://www.evertype.com/standards/csur/tengwar.html , a character encoding
        developed by Michael Everson and me to fit into Unicode, the universal
        character encoding. Even if you are not set up to do Unicode, the
        Tengwar neatly occupy a block of 128 codes, so it could be used as the
        upper half of a 256-byte encoding with ASCII in the lower half.

        --
        John Cowan www.ccil.org/~cowan www.reutershealth.com jcowan@...
        "'My young friend, if you do not now, immediately and instantly, pull
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 6, 2003
          At 21:29 -0400 2003-08-06, John Cowan wrote:
          >Eris scripsit:
          >
          >> Thank you for your rapid reply. It helps to clarify things for me. At the
          >> moment, you see, I am experimenting with creating my own character encoding
          >> for the tengwar.
          >
          >I strongly suggest that you look at
          >http://www.evertype.com/standards/csur/tengwar.html , a character encoding
          >developed by Michael Everson and me to fit into Unicode, the universal
          >character encoding. Even if you are not set up to do Unicode, the
          >Tengwar neatly occupy a block of 128 codes, so it could be used as the
          >upper half of a 256-byte encoding with ASCII in the lower half.

          My current code table is a bit different from the one on that page,
          but it is a work in progress. I'm curious to know if anyone has made
          an implementation based on that one, however.
          --
          Michael Everson * * Everson Typography * * http://www.evertype.com