Re: [elfscript] Word for Avenger

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2003
      > Does anyone know the SIndarin of Quenya word for 'avenger'? Perhaps
      'revenge' or 'retribution'?

      We seem to have no word for "avenger", but for "revenge" or "retribution"
      we have _acharn_ (though Tolkien's translation was "vengeance"). _Tôl
      acharn_ = "Vengeance comes" (WJ:254).

      - HKF
    • Patrick H. Wynne
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 10, 2003
        Quenya word for 'avenger'?", Helge K. Fauskanger wrote:

        > We seem to have no word for "avenger", but for "revenge" or
        > "retribution" we have _acharn_ (though Tolkien's translation
        > was "vengeance"). _Tôl acharn_ = "Vengeance comes" (WJ:254).

        Actually, two words for 'avenger' appear in the Qenya Lexicon:

        _pairemo_, _paimar_ 'The Avenger'

        These are listed under the root PAYA 'requite, punish, take
        vengeance on; conquer, subdue'.

        -- Patrick H. Wynne