Elvish calligraphy problems

  • amaswing
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 30, 2003
      Hello everyone!

      I am new to the Elvish language so please excuse any ignorance that
      may pop up =) I have been trying to find out the correct way to
      write the Sindarin words of "estelio veleth". I have attempted to
      try to figure this out with no happy ending. The websites out there
      seem too advanced for me and I only end up getting more confused. I
      wanted to see them in Sindarin Tengwar or Sindarin cursive (either
      in the Beleriand or Tehta modes). Actually anything that looks
      beautiful in calligraphy would be just fine. I wanted to include
      this in my wedding program. If anyone could send me some images I
      would greatly appreciate it. Thanks everyone for your time! My
      email is: amaswing@... (since my yahoo one doesn't seem to
      work)

      Seanla
    • Chris Jacobs
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 30, 2003
        > I am new to the Elvish language so please excuse any ignorance that
        > may pop up =) I have been trying to find out the correct way to
        > write the Sindarin words of "estelio veleth". I have attempted to
        > try to figure this out with no happy ending. The websites out there
        > seem too advanced for me and I only end up getting more confused. I
        > wanted to see them in Sindarin Tengwar or Sindarin cursive (either
        > in the Beleriand or Tehta modes). Actually anything that looks
        > beautiful in calligraphy would be just fine. I wanted to include
        > this in my wedding program. If anyone could send me some images I
        > would greatly appreciate it. Thanks everyone for your time! My
        > email is: amaswing@... (since my yahoo one doesn't seem to
        > work)

        Just use the TengScribe.

        The result seems me to be Beleriand mode.
      • elimloth
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 30, 2003
          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "amaswing" <amaswing@h...> wrote:
          > [...]I have been trying to find out the correct way to
          > write the Sindarin words of "estelio veleth".

          > The websites out there
          > seem too advanced for me and I only end up getting more confused.

          Start here:
          http://mimas.ceti.pl/tengwar/ott/start.php

          Enter _eselio veleth_ (without the underscores) into the input area.

          Select either Sindarin Classic (a tehta mode) or Sindarin (mode of
          Beleriand).

          For output format, select PNG.

          Click on the Transcibe button, and you should see the results in the
          output area.

          I chose PNG output because it is quite likely you do not have the
          required tengwar fonts loaded in your computer. PNG output produces
          a bit mapped image that works without these fonts. However, the
          graphic will not scale up well, so you should install the fonts if
          you want high quality output.

          Now if you do have the Tengwar fonts, enter: iR1jR`B`N rjR3R into a
          word processor then select the font you like. There are several
          fonts available at http://www.acondia.com/tengwar_fonts/index.html.

          Elimloth
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 31, 2003
            teithant elimloth

            > I chose PNG output because it is quite likely you do
            > not have the
            > required tengwar fonts loaded in your computer. PNG
            > output produces
            > a bit mapped image that works without these fonts.
            > However, the
            > graphic will not scale up well, so you should
            > install the fonts if
            > you want high quality output.

            you can select output size even in PNG

          • amaswing
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 31, 2003
              Thanks for the help everyone!

              --Seanla

              > teithant elimloth
              >
              > > I chose PNG output because it is quite likely you do
              > > not have the
              > > required tengwar fonts loaded in your computer. PNG
              > > output produces
              > > a bit mapped image that works without these fonts.
              > > However, the
              > > graphic will not scale up well, so you should
              > > install the fonts if
              > > you want high quality output.
              >
              > you can select output size even in PNG

              http://www.otenet.gr
            • MiMaS
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 31, 2003
                --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "elimloth" <draco@s...> wrote:
                > Start here:
                > http://mimas.ceti.pl/tengwar/ott/start.php

                By the way - http://tengwar.art.pl/ott/start.php is another
                (easier/better) URL for the same page.
                English intro available here: http://tengwar.art.pl/ott/english.php

                --
                MiMaS :: http://tengwar.art.pl/
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 1, 2003
                  > > [...]I have been trying to find out the correct way to write the
                  Sindarin words of "estelio veleth".

                  Well, the on-line transcribers will get most of it right. The one thing to
                  remember is that V is here a lenited form of M (not B), and according to
                  Tolkien's King's Letter transcript, this V is spelt as a modified Malta.

                  - HKF