Re: Name Transcription Into Sindarin

  • chris_jacobs_freeler_nl
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 21, 2003
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "jpjappic" <jpjappic@y...> wrote:
      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > I am still unsure if the transcribers on the net are correct and I
      > just
      > wanted to know what my name Jean Pierre would look like if
      > transcribed
      > into Sindarin. The correct way.
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > J.P.

      Is the LOTR translated in french?
      If yes, which modes are used in there?
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 22, 2003
        teithant chris_jacobs_freeler_nl

        > Is the LOTR translated in french?

        of course :)

        > If yes, which modes are used in there?

        the ones Tolkien used in the English version.. only
        the text is translated, not the tengwar :) do you
        imagine each translator having to learn tengwar and
        use them for his own language?

      • chris_jacobs_freeler_nl
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 22, 2003
          > > If yes, which modes are used in there?
          >
          > the ones Tolkien used in the English version.. only
          > the text is translated, not the tengwar :) do you
          > imagine each translator having to learn tengwar and
          > use them for his own language?

          No, I just imagine that Jean Pierre looks in the french LOTR what
          modes are used there and uses one of those to transcribe his name.
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 22, 2003
            teithant chris_jacobs_freeler_nl

            > No, I just imagine that Jean Pierre looks in the
            > french LOTR what
            > modes are used there and uses one of those to
            > transcribe his name.

            oops sorry.. i misinterpreted what you said

            really, according to the way i (mis)understood it,
            your concept would be really silly, and i am sorry for
            thinking you would say such a silly thing... but then
            again, we all have heard many silly things around here :)