Re: [elfscript] miscellanea

  • Mans Bjorkman
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 16, 2001
      Jeremie Knusel wrote:

      > There is a mail in the tolklang archive whose topic is:
      > 'Dot below' tehta = "no vowel" (Vinyar Tengwar #25 p6)
      > (http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/misc/local/TolkLang/Vol5/5.66)
      >
      > Does anyone have VT25 ? :)

      I do. Without having reread the TolkLang message, I do no doubt that it
      refers to the article "The Subscript Dot: A New _Tehta_ Usage" by our
      esteemed elfscribe Arden Smith. In brief, the article begins with
      describing the tehta usage in Lowdham's Old English manuscripts from the
      then recently published Sauron Defeated. It is noted that the Adûnaic
      word _Zigûr_ is once written with a dot beneath the <óre> (and _Zigûre_
      is not), likewise that Quenya _Tarcalion_ has a dot beneath the <númen>,
      while the a-tehtar are missing. Smith then quotes the note from Appendix
      E about _a_ often being omitted in Quenya, so "for _calma_ 'lamp' _clm_
      could be written." In _Tarcalion_, Smith notes, <tinco> and <quesse>
      (sic! not <calma>) "are each followed by an implicit _a_. The letters
      [<óre>] and [<númen>] have _no_ vowel following them, and _this_ is what
      the subscript dot indicates."

      Then the exhibition catalogue "J.R.R. Tolkien: Life and Legend. An
      exhibition to Commemorate the Centenary of the Birth of J.R.R. Tolkien
      (1892-1973)" is referred to. The catalogue contains the inscription
      _Menelluin Írildeo Ondolindello_ (with the authorial caption "Idril's
      Device The 'Cornflower' pattern Menelluin"), the same inscription that
      was later published in Artist and Illustrator. Here the final <númen> of
      _Menelluin_ carries a subscript dot, while the preceding _i_ is placed
      on a short carrier.

      The catalogue also contains an untranscribed inscription that goes:
      superscript tilde><silme + subscript dot>". Smith interprets this as
      _calma hendas_, "a light in the eye", despite the untraditional use of
      <quesse> and <ando>. However this inscription is to be interpreted, it
      seems clear to me that the subscript dot is here and elsewhere used to
      indicate lack of following _a_.

      Yours,
      Måns

      --