Tengwar - help with accents and 'umlauts'

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 2003
      I am planning to have Galadriel's words tattooed on my upper arm -
      and Im planning to use the new parmaite script.

      Thing is - I'm really not sure where any 'accents' or other similar
      additions to the basic script might go - and I do want to have the
      script spot on (for obvious reasons!)

      Can anyone suggest where the 'accents' should go?

      Galadriel:

      "I amar prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han
      noston ne 'wilith. "

      Translation: "The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it
      in the earth. I smell it in the air"

      Thanks,

      Chris in UK
    • laurifindil
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2003
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <bedfordfallsuk@y...> wrote:
        > I am planning to have Galadriel's words tattooed on my upper arm -
        > and Im planning to use the new parmaite script.
        >
        > Thing is - I'm really not sure where any 'accents' or other similar
        > additions to the basic script might go - and I do want to have the
        > script spot on (for obvious reasons!)
        >
        > Can anyone suggest where the 'accents' should go?
        >
        > Galadriel:
        >
        > "I amar prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han
        > noston ne 'wilith. "
        >
        > Translation: "The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it
        > in the earth. I smell it in the air"

        Just don't forget that the "real" Galadriel _¨never_ said that.
        Tolkien never wrote such affected dialogue.
      • JadedxxPurity@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2003
          >"I amar prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han
          >
          > >noston ne 'wilith. "
          > >
          > >Translation: "The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it
          > >in the earth. I smell it in the air"
          >

          > Just don't forget that the "real" Galadriel _¨never_ said that.
          > Tolkien never wrote such affected dialogue.

          Didn't Treebeard say something to that effect, if not exactly that?

          Verónica

        • DDanielA@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 7, 2003
            > > >"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I
            > > >feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"
            > >Just don't forget that the "real" Galadriel
            > >_¨never_ said that. Tolkien never wrote
            > >such affected dialogue.
            >Didn't Treebeard say something to that effect,
            >if not exactly that?

            Yep. In RotK, the chapter entitled "Many Partings", Treebeard said to
            Galadriel, 'For the world is changing. I feel it in the water, I feel
            it in the earth, I smell it in the air.' Apparently dropping the word
            'for' and using the past rather than present participle renders the
            sentence 'affected'?

            I would caution against using David Salo's translation on other grounds.
            I respect his scholarship, but David translated this quote before VT #44
            revealed that the Sindarin word for 'in' is _vi_. _ne / ned_ is not
            right, so that means that the translation is not 'good' Sindarin.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 7, 2003
              teithant DDanielA@...

              > I would caution against using David Salo's
              > translation on other grounds.
              > I respect his scholarship, but David translated this
              > quote before VT #44
              > revealed that the Sindarin word for 'in' is _vi_.
              > _ne / ned_ is not
              > right, so that means that the translation is not
              > 'good' Sindarin.

              i have read in other posts of yours about against
              using ned... why so?

              i've heard somewhere that ned must be used only for
              time, dates etc.. if this is the case you are
              objecting, then what about nedledhia- 'enter'?