  • Aprille Ergina
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2003
      july 1..

      hey guys..

      i've been a member of this group for a few months now
      but this is actually the first time i've sent a
      message..

      the things is, i've been trying to study quenya
      independently but i cant seem to make progress..

      will anyone be willing to help me with the basis
      things, their pronouncations and other related stuff..

      thanks for taking time out to read this..

      bya

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
    • Cristine Easterby
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2003
        Vedui'
        The same here, you feel a little embarrased about asking at
        times!!!! I did listen to some Quenya speech online and was not too
        far out with the pronounciation, but it is difficult without knowing
        the correct way of saying things and some of the words are very
        close in spelling but mean different things. I nearly gave someone
        the name of flywoman trying to work out the Noldoli !!!!!
        mela
        Elwing

        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Aprille Ergina <ellirpa2001@y...>
        wrote:
        > july 1..
        >
        > hey guys..
        >
        > i've been a member of this group for a few months now
        > but this is actually the first time i've sent a
        > message..
        >
        > the things is, i've been trying to study quenya
        > independently but i cant seem to make progress..
        >
        > will anyone be willing to help me with the basis
        > things, their pronouncations and other related stuff..
        >
        > thanks for taking time out to read this..
        >
        > bya

        > http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • John
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2003
          "Vedui'il'er" and "Vedui'" sound like what we call Grelvish, which is
          Grey Company Elvish and is not truly Tolkien's Elvish. I recognized
          it by all the apostrophes. Our 'version' is what we hope to be the
          closest thing to Tolkien's Elvish (both Sindarin and Quenya). Just
          so you know, this discussion seems as though it really should be on
          the Elfling group list or private email.

          I confess I know nothing about the 'Noldoli' fonts, but if you have
          questions about the Dan Smith fonts, I might be able to answer
          those... ;) They are very logically laid out on the keyboard. You
          can get the Dan Smith fonts at
          http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/4948/index.html or by
          searching. I hope this isn't considered spam. If it is, I apologize
          sincerely.

          - John

          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Cristine Easterby"
          <Elf_finesse@h...> wrote:
          > Vedui'
        • Cristine Easterby
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 4, 2003
            Teithant,
            I do apologise and I did not realise that I was using Grelvish, I
            have stopped using much of what I learnt there, unless it is
            mentioned in Tolkien's writings.
            The Noldoli font I mentioned is actually a Dan Smith Noldor font, as
            there are three different versions, the one I am trying to use is the
            Tengwar Noldor.
            I also found the link to the Tengwar converter in another post, which
            does make it easier.
            Thank you,
            Elwing

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 4, 2003
              teithant Cristine Easterby

              > Teithant,

              teithant is not a greeting, it means 'wrote' and we
              use it for quoting previous mails :)

            • laurifindil
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 6, 2003
                > teithant Cristine Easterby
                >
                > > Teithant,
                >
                > teithant is not a greeting, it means 'wrote' and we
                > use it for quoting previous mails :)

                Not exactly.
                Tolkien did not translate teithant as 'wrote' in LOTR. This is what is
                written in LOTR :
                Celebrimbor of Hollin _drew_ these signs.
                Celebrimbor was not a "writer" but a "smith".