translation

  • Crystal
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 13, 2003
      Aiya,
      Can someone help me in translating a name???
      I want to get my name "Crystal" in elvish tattooed around my wrist
      but am having alot lot of trouble translating and getting the script
      right...any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Namarie
      Crystal
    • elimloth
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 14, 2003
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Crystal" <namarie_mornie@y...>
        wrote:
        > Can someone help me in translating a name???
        > I want to get my name "Crystal" in elvish tattooed around my wrist
        > but am having alot lot of trouble translating and getting
        > the script right...

        There are several ways to do this. Two that come to mind are:

        1. Transcribe the English word 'Crystal' into Tengwar using one of
        the English modes.

        2. Translate your name 'Crystal' into Sindarin or Quenya, then
        transcribe that translated name into Tengwar using the various modes
        available for those tongues.

        Which one are you interested in performing? Also, are you using any
        of the mechanical transcribing programs (OTT, YaTT, Tengscribe)?
        What kind of problems are you runing into?

        Elimloth
      • elimloth
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 14, 2003
          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Crystal" <namarie_mornie@y...>
          wrote:
          [...]
          > I want to get my name "Crystal" in elvish [...]

          I uploaded an English mode transcription to:

          Elimloth
        • Stacey Spainhour
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 3, 2005
            Hello , i am new to this site... I am wondering if anyone can translate two phrases 1)"A ray" as in a ray of light, and the phrase "Blessed be" into high elven "Quenya" I am quite confused about how to do this. Also can anyone recommend a book that helps with translations and learning the Tolkien languages? Blessings,~ Stacey

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 3, 2005
              look for ardalambion online where you will find both
              grammar/lessons and vocabularies.. the old address was
              www.ardalambion.com but it doesnt work now.. ust
              google it and you should find the exact address

              as for your phrases, just a vocabulary will suffice..
              only that you shouldn't look for the article 'a' in
              Quenya since it doesn't exist... to say 'a ray' you
              just say 'ray'

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 6, 2005
                > Hello , i am new to this site... I am wondering if anyone can translate
                two phrases 1)"A ray" as in a ray of light, and the phrase "Blessed be"
                into high elven "Quenya" I am quite confused about how to do this.

                Ray of light: _Alca_.

                "Blessed be": There are several possibilities. "Be" should apparently be
                _na_. For "blessed" there are almost too many alternatives, including
                _aistana_, _laitana_, _almárea_, _herenya_, _alya_, _mána_ or
                _manna_...with certain shades of meaning distinguishing them, we must
                assume. Please refer to my Ardalambion wordlists to study alternative
                glosses that may help you find the shade of meaning you want.

                And is your next question how to spell this in Tengwar?

                - HKF
              • diego de lima costa
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 20, 2005
                  Hi! I need help! What the translation "I will fear no evil" to Quenya?
                  Is it possible? I think it's not possible, but... If anybody know it,
                  please, answer me.
                  Thank a lot.

                  Diego.

                  PS.: I'm brasilian.
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 21, 2005
                    > Hi! I need help! What the translation "I will fear no evil" to Quenya?
                    > Is it possible? I think it's not possible, but...

                    _Lá rucuvan ulcullo_ may do (not I-will-fear evil-from). But doesn't this
                    question belong on Elfling?

                    - HKF
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 21, 2005
                      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "diego de lima costa" <zeutrix@t...>
                      wrote:

                      > Hi! I need help! What the translation "I will fear no evil" to
                      > Quenya?

                      Hi Diego,
                      if you want a translation to Quenya, then contact this group:

                      Here, we can help you transcibe either the English or the Quenya
                      sentence in some of the Tolkien's writing systems.

                      Lucy
                    • Palatinus
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 21, 2005
                        What was that Google list about hit-and-fade
                        translations?

                        > Hi Diego,
                        > if you want a translation to Quenya, then contact
                        > this group:
                        >
                        > Here, we can help you transcibe either the English
                        > or the Quenya
                        > sentence in some of the Tolkien's writing systems.
                        >
                        > Lucy

                        Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
                      • tinaemelie
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 14 3:26 AM
                          Hi, would be so thankfull if someone could check if I've translated this text
                          right: If you trust anything, trust love. into Sindarin: Esteliach nad, estelio
                          meleth. Thanks....