Re: [elfscript] Questions about sindarin mode of Tengwar

  • ErunámoLondëoronti
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 10, 2003
      --- Anna_Backstr�m_Aceves <ninamarth@...>
      wrote:
      > I have a few questions:
      > 1.- How do I transcript words with a hyphen like
      > Gil-Galad or Ost-in-Edhil?
      > 2.- How do I transcript words with an apostrophe
      > like the words that begins
      > with g and after the mutation (lenition) the sound g
      > dissapears and in latin
      > script we have an apostrophe before the word? Like
      > _gaw_ (word without
      > mutation) ---> _'aw_ (word lenited).

      Just do without them! :)

      > I hope you can help me.
      > Thanks,
      > Anna Backstr�m

      BTW, it's a rather Nordic-sounding name for a
      Mexican-girl, are you half-swedish or anything?

      Regards
      Erun�mo Lond�oronti
      Daniel Hamberg (from Sweden)

      http://calendar.yahoo.com
    • Anna Backström Aceves
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 11, 2003
        Thanks a lot to Gildor and Erunámo =)

        Well, it looks very good but I didn't understand anything @_o

        > a symbol called Gasdil did the job, but i personally
        > dont know how it looks.. maybe its not attested, so we
        > just ommit the apostrophe and write just the word
        > without g-

        Where did you read about the Gasdil? If the name is given, perhaps someone
        knows how to writte it or where can we search for more info... Does anybody
        knows?

        > BTW, it's a rather Nordic-sounding name for a
        > Mexican-girl, are you half-swedish or anything?

        Yes, my father is swedish ;)

        Anna "Ninamarth" Backström
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 11, 2003
          teithant Anna_Backstrφm_Aceves

          > > welcome.. nice to know about other communities :)
          > > belong to www.tolkien.gr
          >
          > Well, it looks very good but I didn't understand
          > anything @_o

          thats ok.. its in greek.. but it has nice design

          > Where did you read about the Gasdil? If the name is
          > given, perhaps someone
          > knows how to writte it or where can we search for
          > more info... Does anybody
          > knows?

          nowhere... the word appears in DragonFlame.. the
          references tell where it has been attested... butif i
          remember correctly, i've asked before, and nobody knew
          how it looks :)

        • laurifindil
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 11, 2003
            > teithant Anna_Backström_Aceves
            >
            > > > welcome.. nice to know about other communities :)
            > > > belong to www.tolkien.gr
            > >
            > > Well, it looks very good but I didn't understand
            > > anything @_o
            >
            > thats ok.. its in greek.. but it has nice design
            >
            > > Where did you read about the Gasdil? If the name is
            > > given, perhaps someone
            > > knows how to writte it or where can we search for
            > > more info... Does anybody
            > > knows?
            >
            > nowhere... the word appears in DragonFlame.. the
            > references tell where it has been attested... butif i
            > remember correctly, i've asked before, and nobody knew
            > how it looks :)

            Appears in DragonFlame?
            Nobody really?

            You should take a look at HOME:7 (Treason of Isengard), if you have
            that in store, for what looks very much as the "gasdil", even if the
            word is not used.
            Don't expect me to give you the page number. ;-)

            Anybody else can contact me in private to have the p. number. ;-)
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 11, 2003
              teithant laurifindil

              > Appears in DragonFlame?

              yup, thats where i saw that word and its description..
              yes i know it's not the primary source, but since i
              saw it there i thought mentioning it...

              > Nobody really?

              if i remember correctly

              > You should take a look at HOME:7 (Treason of
              > Isengard), if you have
              > that in store, for what looks very much as the
              > "gasdil", even if the
              > word is not used.
              > Don't expect me to give you the page number. ;-)
              >
              > Anybody else can contact me in private to have the
              > p. number. ;-)

              i don't possess HOME:7 anyways.. if i had it i wouldnt
              ask the page number...

              yes, you are into Elvish for c. 20 years and i am for
              7, forgive me for that