Re: [elfscript] Questions about sindarin mode of Tengwar

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 10, 2003
      teithant Anna_Backstrφm_Aceves

      > Let me intoduce myself, I'm a mexican girl who loves
      > everything about
      > Tolkien's world, I am the founder of the Mexican
      > Tolkien Society (Sociedad
      > Tolkiendili de Mιxico or STM). A little group of STM

      welcome.. nice to know about other communities :) i
      belong to www.tolkien.gr

      > I have a few questions:
      > 1.- How do I transcript words with a hyphen like
      > Gil-Galad or Ost-in-Edhil?

      the hyphens are tolkien's elaboration for roman
      letters, because there is no hyphen in tengwar..
      AFAIK, they are written as a unique word

      > 2.- How do I transcript words with an apostrophe
      > like the words that begins
      > with g and after the mutation (lenition) the sound g
      > dissapears and in latin
      > script we have an apostrophe before the word? Like
      > _gaw_ (word without
      > mutation) ---> _'aw_ (word lenited).

      a symbol called Gasdil did the job, but i personally
      dont know how it looks.. maybe its not attested, so we
      just ommit the apostrophe and write just the word
      without g-

    • ErunámoLondëoronti
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 10, 2003
        --- Anna_Backstr�m_Aceves <ninamarth@...>
        wrote:
        > I have a few questions:
        > 1.- How do I transcript words with a hyphen like
        > Gil-Galad or Ost-in-Edhil?
        > 2.- How do I transcript words with an apostrophe
        > like the words that begins
        > with g and after the mutation (lenition) the sound g
        > dissapears and in latin
        > script we have an apostrophe before the word? Like
        > _gaw_ (word without
        > mutation) ---> _'aw_ (word lenited).

        Just do without them! :)

        > I hope you can help me.
        > Thanks,
        > Anna Backstr�m

        BTW, it's a rather Nordic-sounding name for a
        Mexican-girl, are you half-swedish or anything?

        Regards
        Erun�mo Lond�oronti
        Daniel Hamberg (from Sweden)

        http://calendar.yahoo.com
      • Anna Backström Aceves
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 11, 2003
          Thanks a lot to Gildor and Erunámo =)

          Well, it looks very good but I didn't understand anything @_o

          > a symbol called Gasdil did the job, but i personally
          > dont know how it looks.. maybe its not attested, so we
          > just ommit the apostrophe and write just the word
          > without g-

          Where did you read about the Gasdil? If the name is given, perhaps someone
          knows how to writte it or where can we search for more info... Does anybody
          knows?

          > BTW, it's a rather Nordic-sounding name for a
          > Mexican-girl, are you half-swedish or anything?

          Yes, my father is swedish ;)

          Anna "Ninamarth" Backström
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 11, 2003
            teithant Anna_Backstrφm_Aceves

            > > welcome.. nice to know about other communities :)
            > > belong to www.tolkien.gr
            >
            > Well, it looks very good but I didn't understand
            > anything @_o

            thats ok.. its in greek.. but it has nice design

            > Where did you read about the Gasdil? If the name is
            > given, perhaps someone
            > knows how to writte it or where can we search for
            > more info... Does anybody
            > knows?

            nowhere... the word appears in DragonFlame.. the
            references tell where it has been attested... butif i
            remember correctly, i've asked before, and nobody knew
            how it looks :)

          • laurifindil
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 11, 2003
              > teithant Anna_Backström_Aceves
              >
              > > > welcome.. nice to know about other communities :)
              > > > belong to www.tolkien.gr
              > >
              > > Well, it looks very good but I didn't understand
              > > anything @_o
              >
              > thats ok.. its in greek.. but it has nice design
              >
              > > Where did you read about the Gasdil? If the name is
              > > given, perhaps someone
              > > knows how to writte it or where can we search for
              > > more info... Does anybody
              > > knows?
              >
              > nowhere... the word appears in DragonFlame.. the
              > references tell where it has been attested... butif i
              > remember correctly, i've asked before, and nobody knew
              > how it looks :)

              Appears in DragonFlame?
              Nobody really?

              You should take a look at HOME:7 (Treason of Isengard), if you have
              that in store, for what looks very much as the "gasdil", even if the
              word is not used.
              Don't expect me to give you the page number. ;-)

              Anybody else can contact me in private to have the p. number. ;-)
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 11, 2003
                teithant laurifindil

                > Appears in DragonFlame?

                yup, thats where i saw that word and its description..
                yes i know it's not the primary source, but since i
                saw it there i thought mentioning it...

                > Nobody really?

                if i remember correctly

                > You should take a look at HOME:7 (Treason of
                > Isengard), if you have
                > that in store, for what looks very much as the
                > "gasdil", even if the
                > word is not used.
                > Don't expect me to give you the page number. ;-)
                >
                > Anybody else can contact me in private to have the
                > p. number. ;-)

                i don't possess HOME:7 anyways.. if i had it i wouldnt
                ask the page number...

                yes, you are into Elvish for c. 20 years and i am for
                7, forgive me for that