Quenya Tengwar spelling question

  • calya_estel
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 8, 2003
      The Quenya word _na_ (it has a acute accent mark over the a). Does
      this indicate a long double a. If it is, then should I spell _na_ in
      Tengwar as numen, long carrier + 3 dots, instead of numen + 3 dots.

      Also, to spell quenya word _olore_ (the 2nd o has a acute acent mark
      over it & the e has 2 dots over it) does the o with the acute accent
      mark also indicate a long double o. So would you spell it in Tengwar
      as short carrier + right curl, lambe + double right curl, romen +
      acute accent mark; instead of short carrier + right curl, lambe +
      right curl, romen + acute accent mark.

      One more Quenya word, _ea_ (double dots over the e). Is the _e_ (with
      double dots) considered a short e? I initially spelt it in Tengwar as
      short carrier + acute accent mark, short carrier + 3 dots. Is this
      right, or should I have spelt it differently?

      Can anyone clarify this for me please.

      Calya Estel
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 8, 2003
        teithant calya_estel

        > The Quenya word _na_ (it has a acute accent mark
        > over the a). Does
        > this indicate a long double a. If it is, then should
        > I spell _na_ in
        > Tengwar as numen, long carrier + 3 dots, instead of
        > numen + 3 dots.

        yes

        > Also, to spell quenya word _olore_ (the 2nd o has a
        > acute acent mark
        > over it & the e has 2 dots over it) does the o with
        > the acute accent
        > mark also indicate a long double o. So would you
        > spell it in Tengwar
        > as short carrier + right curl, lambe + double right
        > curl, romen +
        > acute accent mark; instead of short carrier + right
        > curl, lambe +
        > right curl, romen + acute accent mark.

        yes.. btw the acute mark is commonly used for e.. for
        i the dot is used

        > One more Quenya word, _ea_ (double dots over the e).
        > Is the _e_ (with
        > double dots) considered a short e? I initially spelt
        > it in Tengwar as
        > short carrier + acute accent mark, short carrier + 3
        > dots. Is this
        > right, or should I have spelt it differently?

        right

        > Can anyone clarify this for me please.

        you already know it well.. the acute accent represents
        a long/double vowel.. the two dots above e and a are
        to be ingored (they are just a pronunciation reminder
        to the anglophone readers, so there was nothing like
        it used by the elves)

        btw, you can represent the long vowels by doubles:
        naa, oloore..

      • calya_estel
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 8, 2003
          teithant Gildor Inglorion:
          > btw, you can represent the long vowels by doubles:
          > naa, oloore..

          Thank you very much Gildor for clarifying this for me. One quick
          question, what does btw mean, would like to know please.

          Calya Estel
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 8, 2003
            teithant calya_estel

            > Thank you very much Gildor for clarifying this for
            > me. One quick
            > question, what does btw mean, would like to know
            > please.

            'by the way'