Re: [elfscript] Re: A standard test document for tengwar fonts

  • ErunámoLondëoronti
    Message 1 of 12 , May 8 10:11 PM
      Hello Helge!

      Wow, what a feeling to help the guru himself!
      I have had so much fun reading and trying to
      understand your Quenya Course. I've neglected my work
      and my girlfriend because of you, you know... :)
      And I have abolutely no experience with grammatical
      terms, at all! So it's been hard but most wonderful.
      Thank you so much!!! And here comes my gift back to
      you (allthough really too small, but hey, I'm a
      computer guy not a linguistic):

      I brought up this problem a few days ago and had a
      solution that no one complained about.

      My solution became for Sillo iTj;Y with the letter j's
      spacing
      condensed with 3,5 pt and the character ;'s spacing
      expanded with 3,5
      pt (just to get the over-curl "Y" back into place).

      For -lya I practically made the same changes but with
      4,5 pt instead.

      The condensing/expanding is of course variable, I used
      the fontsize 56 pt for this example.

      I'm sorry if this solution is a bit complicated but
      hey, do like I do with Quenya: try try try, and don't
      give up ;)

      Best Regards
      Erun�mo Lond�oronti

      --- "Helge K. Fauskanger"
      <helge.fauskanger@...> wrote:
      > eemunsj wrote:
      >
      > > The last question: You mentioned a problem with
      > combination "ea" in
      > Quenya, but I don�t see any problem in Elfica (using
      > the right alternative
      > tehta symbol). Did you found this problem in Elfica?
      >
      > Ehr...please tell me again, where can I download
      > Elfica?
      >
      > Incidentally, I finally managed to install Tengwar
      > Cursive (I'm not very
      > good with computers, actually!) and the font as such
      > is not bad, but
      > transcribing Quenya _nalye_ "thou art" (using
      > TengScribe) I noticed that
      > the two dots signifying "y" are missing inside the
      > bow of the Lambe (L).
      > Have others noticed this, or is it just my aging
      > computer screwing up
      > things?
      >
      > - HKF

      http://search.yahoo.com
    • elimloth
      Message 2 of 12 , May 9 1:59 AM
        "Helge K. Fauskanger" <helge.fauskanger@n...> wrote:
        > [...] I finally managed to install Tengwar Cursive (I'm not very
        > good with computers, actually!) and the font as such is not bad,
        but
        > transcribing Quenya _nalye_ "thou art" (using TengScribe) I
        noticed that
        > the two dots signifying "y" are missing inside the bow of the
        Lambe (L).
        > Have others noticed this, [...]

        It is a bug in the cursive font. Dan Smith's fonts offer several
        versions of the same tehta with different horizontal and vertical
        relative alignments. A good transcription mode takes advantage of
        these variants to best place the tehta over different tengwar or
        within certain tengwar (like Lambe). The cursive font does not
        implement all the variant tehta, so they go missing.

        Elimloth