Re: [elfscript]: consonantal y in "full" Sindarin

    Message 1 of 20 , May 8, 2003
      teithant xeeniseit

      > mode and any of them. The Quenya mode doesn't even
      > follow the generally
      > accepted relations between the letters as explained
      > in the appendices. Ther=
      > it is said explicitly that it differs from the other
      > modes. (First sentence=
      > of the
      > sub-chapter "comment" or so, I'm sorry I can't cite
      > the original.)

      it's because didnt base tengwar on Quenya, but in
      general elvish phonology, so that the tengwar could be
      adapted in any language...

      he then adapted Quenya to them, but the adaptation was
      not perfect (not as sindarin or westron) because of
      Quenya's strict rules

      > And if yanta is a modification of anna (of what
      > other tengwa could it be a =
      > modification?), we can assume that in the very
      > original mode we unfortunate=
      > ly
      > don't know of, anna would represent a consonantal
      > y-sound. This could even =

      no, yanta and anna have no relation.. my theory is
      that yanta was used as consonantal y while anna was
      used for a carrier and/or to show early-lost initial
      g- sound (eg. alda from galada or alasse from galasse)

      > lead to the assumption that the calmatιma very
      > originally was a (truely)
      > palatal series. But I'm not sure whether that early
      > Quenya already had pala=
      > tal
      > sounds or whether they only developped later.

      tyelpetema was then for palatalised sounds

    • xeeniseit
      Message 2 of 20 , May 8, 2003
        Gildor Inglorion teithant:
        > he then adapted Quenya to them, but the adaptation was not perfect
        (not as sindarin or westron) because of Quenya's strict rules

        Suppose you mean King's Letter Sindarin, as Moria Gate Sindarin
        doesn't even have consistent tyeller. Which Quenya has (except for
        óretyelle, but that's the case in most modes). It only changes the
        meaning of the lúvar, but the change is more or less regular: A
        doubled lúva means (pre)nasalisation.

        xeeniseit teithant:
        >> And if yanta is a modification of anna (of what other tengwa could
        it be a modification?), we can assume that in the very original mode
        we unfortunately don't know of, anna would represent a consonantal y-
        sound.

        Gildor Inglorion teithant:
        > no, yanta and anna have no relation.. my theory is that yanta was
        used as consonantal y while anna was used for a carrier and/or to
        show early-lost initial g- sound (eg. alda from galada or alasse from
        galasse)

        The appendices say that all additional letters but lambe and silme
        are modifications of another tengwa. What other tengwa could be the
        model for yanta, if it's not anna?

        Assuming that the appendices are right, and assuming that yanta is
        really developped out of anna, then we have to ask: why? There is a
        certain similarity between g-sounds and y-sounds, cf. "yesterday" to
        German "gestern" (yesterday) and "Tag" (day). But Quenya didn't have
        the development *g>y but *g>*gh>(zero). I don't know a lot about the
        historical phonology of Quenya, but it seems very unlikely to me to
        assume *g>*y>(zero), because Third Age Quenya has y-sounds in the
        same environments where that loss would have taken place.

        Why then? Perhaps: Anna is the very original sign for the y-
        consonant, yanta has developped from it, because there was a need for
        a special sign for the -i in diphtongs.

        But if anna was the very original sign for the y-consonant, the
        original value of calmatéma couldn't be that of a velar series, but
        rather of some kind of palatal series. Quenya has such a series, but
        it uses calmatéma with two underposed dots for it. Do we have to
        assume that Feanor originally designed a wholly different témar
        distribution? Or is it more likely that the original tengwar mode was
        designed for the English language, not by Feanor but rather by J.R.R.
        Tolkien?

        suilaid
        Message 3 of 20 , May 10, 2003
          teithant xeeniseit

          > The appendices say that all additional letters but
          > lambe and silme
          > are modifications of another tengwa. What other
          > tengwa could be the
          > model for yanta, if it's not anna?

          none... yanta and hyarmen seem to be related

          > German "gestern" (yesterday) and "Tag" (day). But
          > Quenya didn't have
          > the development *g>y but *g>*gh>(zero). I don't know
          > a lot about the
          > historical phonology of Quenya, but it seems very
          > unlikely to me to
          > assume *g>*y>(zero), because Third Age Quenya has
          > y-sounds in the
          > same environments where that loss would have taken
          > place.

          where? the only circumstance i can remember is yelle
          from GJEL... in Quenya, as far as etymology and
          phonology are concerned, y is not related to g

          > Why then? Perhaps: Anna is the very original sign
          > for the y-
          > consonant, yanta has developped from it, because
          > there was a need for
          > a special sign for the -i in diphtongs.

          App. D of Quendi and Eldar says more or less, that the
          original value of Anna was *gh- and it was used as a
          tehtar carrier.. when this way of thinking was
          abandoned, anna was used now as 'following-y' carrier,
          because as i udnerstand, the dots under the short
          carrier wouldnt look good

          > But if anna was the very original sign for the
          > y-consonant, the
          > original value of calmatιma couldn't be that of a
          > velar series, but
          > rather of some kind of palatal series. Quenya has
          > such a series, but
          > it uses calmatιma with two underposed dots for it.

          no, it used Tyelpetema which is Tincotema with dots

          > Do we have to
          > assume that Feanor originally designed a wholly
          > different tιmar
          > distribution? Or is it more likely that the original
          > tengwar mode was
          > designed for the English language, not by Feanor but
          > rather by J.R.R.
          > Tolkien?

          you might be interested in the Quenta Eldatencelion i
          have written (still not perfect), found in the essays
          of Gwaith.. it was based mostly on App. D of Quendi
          and Eldar

          Message 4 of 20 , May 10, 2003
            im teithant

            > where? the only circumstance i can remember is yelle
            > from GJEL... in Quenya, as far as etymology and
            > phonology are concerned, y is not related to g

            gee i just remembered... felya from phelga, and
            possibly other cases... you are right :)

          • xeeniseit
            Message 5 of 20 , May 11, 2003
              teithant xeeniseit:
              >> The appendices say that all additional letters but lambe and silme are
              modifications of another tengwa. What other tengwa could be the model for
              yanta, if it's not anna?

              Gildor teithant:
              > none... yanta and hyarmen seem to be related

              That's true, and it makes sense, as the pair hy/y is the palatal fricative =

              unvoiced/voiced opposition. But this doesn't change much, because hyarmen
              also is a modification of one of the primary letters (if the appendices are=
              right).
              Of which one? I'd guess of harma. That's the same case: A sign for a palata=
              sound (no matter whether yanta or hyarmen) is borrowed from calmatéma.
              And that seem very curious to me.

              But if -as Gildor's affirmed- Quenyan y is somewhat related to g, this coul=
              d be
              the explanation. I wonder whether the sound of hy also has a relation to
              palatal sounds? Then the development from harma to hyarmen could also be
              explained. Who knows about that?

              suilaid
            • laurifindil
              Message 6 of 20 , May 12, 2003
                --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "xeeniseit" <xeeniseit@y...> wrote:
                > teithant xeeniseit:
                > >> The appendices say that all additional letters but lambe and silme are=

                > modifications of another tengwa. What other tengwa could be the model for=

                > yanta, if it's not anna?
                >
                > Gildor teithant:
                > > none... yanta and hyarmen seem to be related
                >
                > That's true, and it makes sense, as the pair hy/y is the palatal fricativ=
                e =

                > unvoiced/voiced opposition. But this doesn't change much, because hyarmen=

                > also is a modification of one of the primary letters (if the appendices a=
                re=
                > right).
                > Of which one? I'd guess of harma. That's the same case: A sign for a pala=
                ta=
                > sound (no matter whether yanta or hyarmen) is borrowed from calmatéma.
                > And that seem very curious to me.
                >
                > But if -as Gildor's affirmed- Quenyan y is somewhat related to g, this co=
                ul=
                > d be
                > the explanation. I wonder whether the sound of hy also has a relation to =

                > palatal sounds? Then the development from harma to hyarmen could also be =

                > explained. Who knows about that?

                All of this is just plain nonsense! :-(

                The tengwa _yanta_ is just a copy of a sarat ; see/read Parma XIII, p.
                88.

                EJK
              • xeeniseit
                Message 7 of 20 , May 13, 2003
                  Laurifindil teithant:
                  > The tengwa _yanta_ is just a copy of a sarat ;

                  I suppose this an explicit statement by Tolkien, isn't it? If it really is,=
                  then it's in
                  overt contradiction to the appendices, where J.R.R. Tolkien says that all
                  additional letters but lambe and silme are modifications of other letters. =
                  This
                  wouldn't be the first contradiction in Tolkien's work, but such a contradic=
                  tion
                  must be judged on very carefully and not just be thrown away as plain
                  nonsense. Tell me at least a reason why you're ignoring the appendices.

                  But there are more questions, and more intersting ones: Why is the relation=

                  between hyarmen and yanta so similar to the relation between thúletyelle an=
                  óretyelle, e.g. between hwesta and vilya? In both cases we have a pair of a=

                  voiceless fricative and an approximate (the weakest consonant of its téma),=
                  in
                  both cases we have no doubling, in both cases the only difference in shape =
                  is
                  the raised "stem" of the former, vs a shortened one of the second. Such
                  interesting relations are totally ignored if you simply affirm that yanta i=
                  s copied
                  from the "alphabet of Rúmil".

                  > see/read Parma XIII, p. 88.

                  I'm sorry it's only a few time ago I've become aware that there's such a th=
                  ing
                  as parma, but it was way too late. And borrowing it is a very complicated t=
                  hing,
                  if you don't find any copy in your country.

                  suilaid
                  xeeniseit
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 13, 2003
                    teithant xeeniseit

                    > > see/read Parma XIII, p. 88.
                    >
                    > I'm sorry it's only a few time ago I've become aware
                    > that there's such a th=
                    > ing
                    > as parma, but it was way too late. And borrowing it
                    > is a very complicated t=
                    > hing,
                    > if you don't find any copy in your country.

                    parma 13 has been published over a year ago, and i'm
                    still waiting for some of its info incorporated to the
                    known sites...

                    even Amanye Tenceli has been 'dead', promising that it
                    will incorporate the info from parma 13 'soon' :(

                  • xeeniseit
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 13, 2003
                      teithant xeeniseit:
                      > Tell me at least a reason why you're ignoring the appendices.

                      Then I shouldn't ignore them either. The appendices say something
                      interesting on hyarmen: That in the beginning it was a weaker variant of
                      harma. How is this to be understood? Does this mean that the palatal fricative
                      hy is to be considered a variant of the velar one? Etymologically? I can't judge
                      on that, as I don't know about Quenya etymology. Phonetically? This would
                      seem strange to me, but maybe possible, but I'd like to have more evidence
                      on it.

                      suilaid
                      xeeniseit
                    • John Cowan
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 13, 2003
                        xeeniseit scripsit:

                        > Then I shouldn't ignore them either. The appendices say something
                        > interesting on hyarmen: That in the beginning it was a weaker variant of
                        > harma. How is this to be understood? Does this mean that the palatal fricative
                        > hy is to be considered a variant of the velar one? Etymologically? I can't judge
                        > on that, as I don't know about Quenya etymology. Phonetically? This would
                        > seem strange to me, but maybe possible, but I'd like to have more evidence
                        > on it.

                        Consider the alternation in German and other languages between [x] and [C], the
                        velar and palatal fricatives. Near front vowels, as in "ich", one gets the palatal
                        fricative; near back vowels, as in "ach", one gets the velar fricative.

                        --
                        A poetical purist named Cowan [that's me: jcowan@...]
                        Once put the rest of us dowan. [on xml-dev]
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 13, 2003
                          Teithant Alf:
                          >Laurifindil teithant:
                          > >The tengwa _yanta_ is just a copy of a sarat ;
                          >I suppose this an explicit statement by Tolkien,
                          >isn't it? If it really is, then it's in
                          overt
                          >contradiction to the appendices, where J.R.R.
                          >Tolkien says that all additional letters but lambe and
                          silme are modifications of other letters.

                          It isn't really a contradiction. JRRT does indeed write that the
                          additional letters (save lambe and silme) are "modifications of other
                          letters", but note that he does not say "modifications of other
                          Fëanorian tengwar." "Letters" could apply equally well to the sarati;
                          they are also letters. JRRT also states in the appendix that the tengwar
                          owed something to the letters of Rúmil. I had always assumed that this
                          referred to things like arrangement and use of vowel diacriticals, but
                          it could also apply to borrowing the shape of a sarat.

                          >but such a contradiction not just be thrown
                          >away as plain nonsense.

                          Some people just happen to use an unfortunate choice of words.
                          'Nonsense' is too strong a word, and inappropriate here.
                          >Why is the relation between hyarmen and yanta
                          >so similar to the relation between thúletyelle
                          >and óretyelle, e.g. between hwesta and vilya? In
                          >both cases we have a pair of a
                          voiceless
                          >fricative and an approximate (the weakest
                          >consonant of its téma), in
                          both
                          >cases we have no doubling, in both cases the
                          >only difference in shape is
                          the raised
                          >"stem" of the former, vs a shortened one of the
                          >second.

                          Good point. But of course the correspondence is not exact. In origin,
                          hyarmen represented [hj]. Hwesta originally represented [xw] before the
                          [x] was softened to [h]. But still an interesting observation! :)

                          Cuio mae, Danny.
                        • xeeniseit
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 15, 2003
                            xeeniseit scripsit:
                            > > Then I shouldn't ignore them either. The appendices say something
                            interesting on hyarmen: That in the beginning it was a weaker variant
                            of harma. How is this to be understood? Does this mean that the
                            palatal fricative hy is to be considered a variant of the velar one?
                            Etymologically? I can't judge on that, as I don't know about Quenya
                            etymology. Phonetically? This would seem strange to me, but maybe
                            possible, but I'd like to have more evidence on it.

                            John Cowan responsit:
                            > Consider the alternation in German and other languages between [x]
                            and [C], the velar and palatal fricatives. Near front vowels, as
                            in "ich", one gets the palatal fricative; near back vowels, as
                            in "ach", one gets the velar fricative.

                            Well known to me. And 3rd Age Quenya shows the same alternation with
                            original ch between vowel and t (tehtar as "te-hy-tar", ohtar as "o-
                            ch-tar"). But even though in that way, an original ch has become hy,
                            there's also an original hy which -as far as I can see- has nothing
                            to do with original ch. At least, both sounds occur in the same
                            surroundings (e.g. at the beginning of a word before a: hyarmen,
                            charma). But it depends (almost) entirely on the context whether you
                            have German /x/ or /C/, and the same happens with Quenya vowel `+ ht:
                            it depends on the preceding vowel.

                            Danny teithant:
                            > In origin, hyarmen represented [hj].

                            This makes things even trickier! Even though I believe that by means
                            of coarticulation, of connected speech (nobody pronounces isolate
                            sounds), there's only a very short way from [hj] to [C]. But I have
                            no idea how I can put together the ideas of hyarmen originally
                            representing [hj] and being derived from charma as a weaker variant.

                            But suppose that hyarmen originally represented /h/: Then its being a
                            weaker variant of /ch/ wouldn't be problematic any longer. - But then
                            there'd be a mess with the word 'original'. What is the most original
                            tengwar mode? In internal history it must be Feanors mode, but we
                            don't know it; in external history I suspect it's the English mode.
                            And the h-ch stuff in an English mode makes more sense to me than the
                            hy-ch stuff of Quenya!???

                            Why is there more logic in the English mode than in the Quenya mode
                            or in the mode of Beleriand?

                            suilaid
                            alf
                          • xeeniseit