Re: [elfscript] consonantal y in "full" Sindarin

  • DDanielA@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2003
      Teithant Gildir:
      >And in KL-III (DTS 49), initial i- is written with Yanta.
      >It must be presumed that Tolkien considered
      >KL-I and KL-II as drafts, and KL-III as more or
      >less canonical. So we should follow it more than
      >the others.

      However, the question was about FULL WRITING Sindarin modes. The use of
      yanta as 'i-' ('y-') in KL-III is immaterial: KL-III was written in a
      tehta mode, and in all known full writing Sindarin specimina yanta was
      used for 'e', not 'i-'. Judging from the use of the long carrier in KL-I
      and various English full writing modes as devised by Tolkien himself, I
      believe that the long carrier is the most logical choice. Besides, it
      wasn't used for anyhing else that we know of.