question on sindarin translation

  • bainedhel
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2003
      hey guys-

      I have been studying Sindarin for a few months now, but I keep
      hitting this problem.The Silmarillion has two names for the universal
      creator: Illuvatar and Eru. Is there a Sindarin translation for
      either one of these names. How about the Ainur, the singers in
      Illuvatar's court that "formed" the good, the bad, and the ugly in
      that world? If you have an answer, please email me at
      katylyn@..., thanx.

      Bain Edhel
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2003
        teithant bainedhel

        > hitting this problem.The Silmarillion has two names
        > for the universal
        > creator: Illuvatar and Eru. Is there a Sindarin
        > translation for

        an old Noldorin poem by Tolkien shows the word Eruchin
        (corresponding to Quenya Eruhin) which suggest that
        Eru is used in Sindarin (at least in compounds)

        Derdzinsky has translated the word Painadar, which is
        exact translation of Iluvatar

        > either one of these names. How about the Ainur, the
        > singers in

        AFAIK, we have no word for this, but it could be
        translated/adapted to Sindarin as Aenu, Ainu, Aen...
        Aen pl. Aenin would be ok

      • bainedhel
        Message 3 of 3 , May 2, 2003
          teithant Gildor Inglorion