consonantal y in "full" Sindarin

  • xeeniseit
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2003
      AFAIK there's no example of any (syllable-initial) consonantal y in "full writing"
      Sindarin modes. I see two possibilities: Either we write it all the same like i (so
      it'd look like "i"), or we write it with a long carrier, generalising the usage of
      other (English) full writing modes.

      I rather tend towards the second, because I like the idea that long carrier =
      consonantal y is valid for all full writing modes.

      suilaid
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30, 2003
        teithant xeeniseit

        > AFAIK there's no example of any (syllable-initial)
        > consonantal y in "full writing"
        > Sindarin modes. I see two possibilities: Either we
        > write it all the same like i (so
        > it'd look like "i"), or we write it with a long
        > carrier, generalising the usage of
        > other (English) full writing modes.

        indeed in the King's Letter, it's written with the
        long carrier (bearing similarities to j, both in
        appearance and usage!)

        Message 3 of 3 , May 4 6:23 PM
          Teithant Gildir:
          >And in KL-III (DTS 49), initial i- is written with Yanta.
          >It must be presumed that Tolkien considered
          >KL-I and KL-II as drafts, and KL-III as more or
          >less canonical. So we should follow it more than
          >the others.

          However, the question was about FULL WRITING Sindarin modes. The use of
          yanta as 'i-' ('y-') in KL-III is immaterial: KL-III was written in a
          tehta mode, and in all known full writing Sindarin specimina yanta was
          used for 'e', not 'i-'. Judging from the use of the long carrier in KL-I
          and various English full writing modes as devised by Tolkien himself, I
          believe that the long carrier is the most logical choice. Besides, it
          wasn't used for anyhing else that we know of.