Re: [elfscript] phonemic English tengwar

  • DDanielA@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 13, 2001
      Lisa Star deithant:

      I personally would stick to the
      mode that Tolkien used on the
      title page of LotR, because it is
      most widely available, and is
      actually for English.

      I would have agreed 100% with you, Lisa, before I discovered 'Sauron
      Defeated' and the King's Letter. I like the 'Plain Letters' mode used
      for English in the Letter. Its advantages:
      · It's a full writing system. The use of separate tengwar for vowels
      is easier to read quickly and is closer to what native English speakers
      are used to.
      · It's orthographic...mostly. Except for a few idiosyncrasies (e.g.
      'th' represented by two different tengwar for two different phonemes,
      retention of both 'rómen' and 'óre', silent 'e'/schwa written with a
      dot while 'full e' is written with 'yanta') this mode is based on
      standard English spelling rather than phonetics. Let's face it: English
      is not spelt the way ANYONE pronounces it.
      ·Except for JRRT's calligraphy for "Errantry", the King's letter is
      the longest English tengwar text that I know of and early every letter
      needed for English is attested in it.
      ·Like the title page inscription, it was devised by Tolkien
      himself...not some spurious imitator!

      I like using ómatehtar – don't get me wrong –, but for English I
      personally think the system in the King's Letter is more efficient. But
      I think we'd both agree that both this system and the title-page mode
      are preferable to the dubious 'personal tengwar modes' that continue to
      crop up! Other languages are another matter. We don't have examples by
      Professor Tolkien of French, German, Spanish, Russian, Swahili, etc. for
      guides.

      Cuio mae, Danny.
    • Edward J. Kloczko
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 16, 2001
        DDanielA@... a écrit:

        <snip>

        > Except for JRRT's calligraphy for "Errantry", the King's letter is
        > the longest English tengwar text that I know of and early every letter
        > needed for English is attested in it.

        Have a look at LB, p. 299. That tengwar text in English is longer that
        "Errantry" or the King's letter.

        Namárie

        EJK
      • gildir_1@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 17, 2001
          --- In elfscript@y..., "Edward J. Kloczko" <ejk@f...> wrote:

          > Have a look at LB, p. 299. That tengwar text in English is
          > longer than "Errantry" or the King's letter.

          ...and DTS 18 (Elvish Script Sample III) is even longer, I think.
          (see http://www.forodrim.org/daeron/mdtci.html#DTS18)

          Suilad!
          Gildir