[elfscript] Norwegian sounds

  • estgaido@ba.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 1999
      I made a list of the norwegian sounds I know, I hope I haven't missed
      too many ;)
      Consonants: t, d, p, b, f, v, kj, skj, j, k, g, h, n, m, r, s
      Is 'rs' a different sound?
      Since from this list the sounds seem to be pretty much the same, I made
      a table very similar to the spanish one (VERY similar, it's almost
      identical, so I'm probably missing a lot ;) ), which is in turn based on
      the Westron one, I think.
      The teemar are organized as dental, labial, palatal, velar, while the
      tyeller are voiceless plosive, voiced plosive, voiceless fricative,
      voiced fricative, voiced nasal, and the last tyelle is used as in Quenya
      for semiconsonants.

      So the table would de:
      t/p/kj/k
      d/b/(empty)/g
      (empty)/f/skj/h
      (empty)/v/j/(empty)
      n/m/(empty)/(empty)
      r/(empty)/(empty)/(empty)

      And the extra tengwar:
      rd/rt/l
      s/s

      I don't know what to do about the vowels, I count at least 8, maybe 10,
      is o different from u and from å [I mean when it takes the two different
      values]? If 'o' is either u or å then the vowels would be a, e, i, u, y,
      æ, ø, å and a, e, i, [o when u], [o when å], u, y, æ, ø, å if not? or
      Maybe just the u-like 'o' is the only one different and the å-like is in
      fact like å? Well, I'm pretty much lost here, I just hope something of
      what I wrote above has some use :) In any case, we'll have lots of
      tehtar ;)
      Happy New Year!
      Angasule