[elfscript] Cirth

  • Michael Everson
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 30, 2000
      Ar 13:47 -0500 2000-03-30, scríobh John Cowan:
      >Also, DORIAN in character names should be DORIATHRIN.

      I knew that.... :-)

      Michael Everson ** Everson Gunn Teoranta ** http://www.egt.ie
      Vox +353 1 478 2597 ** Fax +353 1 478 2597 ** Mob +353 86 807 9169
    • Michael Everson
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 30, 2000
        Ar 13:44 -0500 2000-03-30, scríobh John Cowan:
        >I propose unifying away the Cirth combining characters E5, E6, and E7
        >in favor of U+0302, U+0331 or U+0332, and U+0323 respectively.

        http://www.egt.ie/standards/iso10646/pdf/cirth.pdf

        Ah. You mean xx6A, xx6B, and xx6C, don't you?

        Circumflex, underscore, and dot below?

        The circumflex mark is used in Cirth to indicate nasalization.
        The underscore/macron below is used in Cirth to indicate length.
        The dot below is used in Cirth to indicate numeric value of a rune.

        What about the punctuation? Ken Whistler will kill us if we add yet another
        MIDDLE DOT. Runic has a single and a multiple dot separator, but Cirth
        definitely has one, two, three, and four dots, and I don't really favour
        linking Runic and Cirth anyway.

        >The choice between U+0331 and U+0332 depends on whether length marks
        >applying to consecutive runes are merged into a single long line
        >or not. If so, U+0332 is appropriate; if not, or if the evidence is
        >unclear, U+0331 is appropriate. What if anything is known about this?

        I can't remember seeing examples of the length mark. Anyone?

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 30, 2000
          Hei Måns,

          >Actually, the "competing" proposal referred to was compiled by Martin T.
          >Kutschker, though I provided him with a great deal of input. As I have
          >not studied the principles of Unicode in great detail, I don't feel
          >qualified to come up with a proposal of my own, and I shall be more than
          >happy to lend my aid to that of Mr. Everson.

          For the present you can just look at the Tengwar repertoire and note if you
          think you find anything missing, but hold off sending it in till you see my
          amazing contribution.

          Michael Everson ** Everson Gunn Teoranta ** http://www.egt.ie
          Vox +353 1 478 2597 ** Fax +353 1 478 2597 ** Mob +353 86 807 9169
        • John Cowan
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 30, 2000
            Michael Everson wrote:

            > Ah. You mean xx6A, xx6B, and xx6C, don't you?

            Yes. I was looking at N1642 instead of your most recent version.

            --

            Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <jcowan@...>
            Schliesst euer Aug vor heiliger Schau, || http://www.reutershealth.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 13, 2000
              OK, folks, the draft is available at
              http://www.egt.ie/standards/iso10646/pdf/tengwar.pdf

              It is a draft. This will be obvious when you look at it. Comment is invited.

              Guidelines on how to proceed with discussion:

              1. Do not post "competing" proposals. I am managing the proposal, and, as a
              member of ISO/IEC JTC1/SC2/WG2 and am deeply involved in the encoding of
              many scripts in the Unicode/10646 it is well to leave management of the
              proposal in my hands. I assure you I will take all comments and criticisms
              and suggestions into account, but a few years ago Måns Björkman (I think it
              was Måns) published a separate table and I _still_ haven't completely
              figured out the delta between his and mine because he moved things around
              and renamed them as well. Hence Rules 2 and 3.

              2. Do not worry about the order of the characters in the table right now.
              Ordering is irrelevant to the UCS character set encoding, and we can settle
              on the aesthetics of the table layout LATER.

              3. Do not worry too much about the character names right now. We do need to
              discuss them and settle on good ones, but they're less important than Rule
              4.

              4. We need to determine whether the character set is complete or not. Are
              there characters missing? Are there characters which are duplicates of each
              other and should be unified? Are there characters which are unified and
              should be differentiated? Do we have citations for EACH character we encode?

              Michael Everson ** Everson Gunn Teoranta ** http://www.egt.ie
              Vox +353 1 478 2597 ** Fax +353 1 478 2597 ** Mob +353 86 807 9169
            • Robert Brady
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 13, 2000
                On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Michael Everson wrote:

                > OK, folks, the draft is available at
                > http://www.egt.ie/standards/iso10646/pdf/tengwar.pdf
                >
                > It is a draft. This will be obvious when you look at it. Comment is invited.

                I'm not convinced about the idea of modes needing particular
                font/rendering logic. Whilst I appreciate that this is done in order that
                the underlying spelling is the same, this isn't really a useful property
                to have : there are only a few Quenya and Sindarin sounds that share the
                same character in their normal modes, and they are different languages, so
                words and names will (in the general case) be spelt differently anyway...

                This would complicate writing a renderer, and make it impossible to
                represent different modes in plaintext.

                apart from that...

                xx2D (short carrier) is mentioned in Appendix E :

                "When there was no consonant present in the required position, the
                /tehta/ was placed above the 'short carrier', of which a common form
                was like an undotted i."

                xx70 - xx7D come from a manuscript that I think was published in /Vinyar
                Tengwar/. Perhaps someone else knows which issue.

                I see no obvious (or subtle) errors.

                --
                Robert
                "Any person who knowingly causes a nuclear weapon test explosion or any other
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 14, 2000
                  Ar 20:01 +0100 2000-04-13, scríobh Robert Brady:

                  >I'm not convinced about the idea of modes needing particular
                  >font/rendering logic. Whilst I appreciate that this is done in order that
                  >the underlying spelling is the same, this isn't really a useful property
                  >to have : there are only a few Quenya and Sindarin sounds that share the
                  >same character in their normal modes, and they are different languages, so
                  >words and names will (in the general case) be spelt differently anyway...

                  You would get Quenya regularly represented: N-E-Ld-E 'nelde',
                  N-E-L-T-I-Ld-I 'neltildi' and S-I-L-M-A-R-I-L~-I-X-O-N 'SILMARILLION. But
                  Sindarin would be incorrectly represented: N-L-E-D-E 'neled', NLEThLI
                  'nelthil', and S-L-I-V-R-A-L~-I-X-I-R-O 'SILMARILLION'.

                  >This would complicate writing a renderer, and make it impossible to
                  >represent different modes in plaintext.

                  Actually not. You just have to have smart fonts to get the ligatures (as
                  you do for Arabic and Devanagari) and even if you didn't you would still
                  get a legible text (with the tehtar simply showing as nonspacing:

                  Quenya N´LD´ 'nelde', N´LT·Ld· 'neltildi'
                  Sindarin N´L´D 'neled', N´LTh·L 'nelThil'

                  Yes, we'll have to have good fonts, but we would need those ANYWAY in order
                  to get the nonspacing tehtar to combine correctly over their consonants.

                  And the alternative would be expensive inputting software to meet Sindarin
                  or English expectations. This is what you'd have to do to meet the user's
                  "underlying spelling" expectations, which they probably want to use on
                  inputting because it is lots easier.

                  >apart from that...
                  >
                  > xx2D (short carrier) is mentioned in Appendix E :
                  >
                  > "When there was no consonant present in the required position, the
                  > /tehta/ was placed above the 'short carrier', of which a common form
                  > was like an undotted i."

                  Oops, that's an error in the names list. xx2D isn't the short charrier, it
                  is halla. The short carrier is xx2E. So I don't have the attestation for
                  halla yet.

                  > xx70 - xx7D come from a manuscript that I think was published in /Vinyar
                  > Tengwar/. Perhaps someone else knows which issue.
                  >
                  >I see no obvious (or subtle) errors.

                  Apparently it was Quettar 13 and 14, but I do not have these. (I need them.)

                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 14, 2000
                    On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Michael Everson wrote:

                    > Actually not. You just have to have smart fonts to get the ligatures (as
                    > you do for Arabic and Devanagari) and even if you didn't you would still
                    > get a legible text (with the tehtar simply showing as nonspacing:
                    >
                    > Quenya N�LD� 'nelde', N�LT�Ld� 'neltildi'
                    > Sindarin N�L�D 'neled', N�LTh�L 'nelThil'
                    >
                    > Yes, we'll have to have good fonts, but we would need those ANYWAY in order
                    > to get the nonspacing tehtar to combine correctly over their consonants.

                    Ok. That convinces me. I'm just concerned about the complexity, as it is
                    not likely software companies will devote any effort to Tengwar support, so
                    it should be that adding support is a 'no-brainer'. (Less conventional
                    operating systems such as Linux will certainly have support for Tengwar).

                    Have the committes of ISO and Unicode responsible for such matters
                    approved, in principle, to the encoding of Tengwar (and Cirth) in the UCS?

                    --
                    Robert
                  • Michael Everson
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 14, 2000
                      Ar 18:56 +0100 2000-04-14, scríobh Robert Brady:

                      >Ok. That convinces me. I'm just concerned about the complexity, as it is
                      >not likely software companies will devote any effort to Tengwar support, so
                      >it should be that adding support is a 'no-brainer'. (Less conventional
                      >operating systems such as Linux will certainly have support for Tengwar).

                      It is a complex writing system, and I suspect it won't really get encoded
                      until we have in implementation font. I'm concerned about whether I got the
                      Old English vowel encoding right.

                      >Have the committes of ISO and Unicode responsible for such matters
                      >approved, in principle, to the encoding of Tengwar (and Cirth) in the UCS?

                      While they hiss and spit at Klingon, the feeling does seem to be that
                      Tengwar and Cirth are legitimate scripts for encoding. (Not that this was a
                      reason I proposed Klingon along with Tengwar and Cirth, oh my no....)

                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 14, 2000
                        Robert Brady wrote:

                        > Have the committes of ISO and Unicode responsible for such matters
                        > approved, in principle, to the encoding of Tengwar (and Cirth) in the UCS?

                        They neither approve nor disapprove until a specific proposal is in hand.
                        What we are doing is refining the draft of such a proposal.

                        --

                        Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <jcowan@...>
                        Schliesst euer Aug vor heiliger Schau, || http://www.reutershealth.com
                        Denn er genoss vom Honig-Tau, || http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
                        Und trank die Milch vom Paradies. -- Coleridge (tr. Politzer)
                      • Abrigon
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 15, 2001
                          http://www.anu.edu.au/asianstudies/hindi/alphabet/

                          http://www.ajeyabharat.com/slogans_hindi.html

                          For ideas on what it looks like, for possible comparison with
                          Tengwar..

                          I do know that many of the lingos of India, and SE and to a degree NE
                          of India are based on fully or partially on the script that Sanskrit
                          used.. Some are harder to tell the origin, especially by the time you
                          get to Java and their script is very curvy.

                          Mike
                        • Nicole Mate
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 13, 2004
                            Hi,
                            I know you all get annoyed by random translation requests, but I need a little help. I have a phrase translated into Sindarian and Quenya and I need each transcribed into Tengwar (and actually, if anyone has time, could you check the translations I have - I am almost positive they're right, but you never know). I have tried in so many different places to transcribe these or download a font, but nothing I am doing seems to work. If any of you can help me, or tell me what I can do to do it myself, I would be incredibly grateful. Thanks! The phrase is �see my pain�, here are the translations I already have.
                            Quenya - � cen� nwalmenya or c�n� naicenya
                            Sindarian - ceno naeg n�n. or ceno i naeg n�n.

                            Once again, Thank you!