Re: [elfscript] Markings

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 8, 2003
      teithant Veiluve Ardaheru Minak

      > One more thing, I need some more clarification on
      > ngoldo. Ngoldo is
      > used with words of wisdom correct?
      > Now what exactly consitutes a word of wisdow? Is it
      > any word that
      > describes something that can be taught, or that
      > gives a better
      > understanding?

      hm.. words that derive from e stem with initial NG-...
      the words for wisdom, derived from stem NGOL are a
      good example (ngolime, ngole, ngolwen etc), that
      doesnt mean that Noldo must be used about 'any' word
      having to do with knowledge!

      there are also other words that need Ngoldo because
      they are derived from a stem with initial NG-, not
      having anything to do with wisdom

      generally... Ngoldo is only used for initial ng-

      > I.E. Tengwar:(f.y.i. I try to use a mode of sindarin
      > but not
      > beleriand the tehtar make it look more "elvish" lol)
      > 1. tinco,ngolodo(tehta e),wilya,ore(tehta a)
      > 2. tinco,ngalme(tehta e),wilya,ore(tehta a)
      > 3. tinco, numen(tehta e),ungwe(over-tilde),ore(tehta
      > a)

      ah, you confused Quenya with Sindarin spelling: the
      tehtar go over the PRECEDING tengwa, not the FOLLOWING
      tengwa...

      the correct way to spell this word is tinco(e), ungwe
      (a), ore

      ngwalme is used only initially, like Ngoldo, and you
      dont need Numen and over-tilde, because the whole
      cluster -ngw- is written with Ungwe alone!

      > I figure they are all correct from one's view of
      > writing but for the
      > final my question returns back to ng(w)alme, would
      > this be an
      > exception where it could replace the ngw? Yes, yes I
      > know in the
      > third age it had turned to ng but, by perhaps
      > answering my own
      > question, I would go with the first regardless. Just

      ngwalme became nwalme in 3rd Age, like Ngoldo became
      Noldo.. it didnt become Ngalme!

      > do to the fact
      > that by learing tengwar you are in fact receiving
      > knowledge...

      hopefully!!

    • Veiluve Ardaheru Minak
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 8, 2003
        One or the other, come on, I get from one that ngwalme turned to
        ngalme and from you I get nwalme, which is correct!? I'll just go by
        Dan Smith... So would the correct word since I prefer sindarin be
        TEITHO? Also please remember a good many of us are new at this and
        talking down to us is very disheartening due to the fact I myself
        view the many who can answer my questions as authorities and
        knowledgeable.
        Also again Gildor you have my many thanks...
        -Ve

      • Veiluve Ardaheru Minak
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 8, 2003

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 8, 2003
            teithant Veiluve Ardaheru Minak

            > One or the other, come on, I get from one that
            > ngwalme turned to
            > ngalme and from you I get nwalme, which is correct!?

            nwalme

            > I'll just go by
            > Dan Smith... So would the correct word since I
            > prefer sindarin be
            > TEITHO? Also please remember a good many of us are

            what for? teitho means 'write!' (imperative)

          • D. Daniel Andriës
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 8, 2003
              Teithant Ve:
              > One or the other, come on, I get from one that ngwalme turned to
              > ngalme and from you I get nwalme, which is correct!? I'll just go
              by
              > Dan Smith...

              I think it's a better idea to go by J. R. R. Tolkien himself. In
              Appendix E of LotR he specifically states the name of the tegwa to be
              nwalme, formerly ngwalme. BTW, in Quenya both noldo and nwalme can
              only occur initially as far as we know.

              So would the correct word since I prefer sindarin be
              > TEITHO?

              _têw_ = tengwa (singular)
              _tîw_ = tengwar (plural)

              > Also please remember a good many of us are new at this and
              > talking down to us is very disheartening due to the fact I myself
              > view the many who can answer my questions as authorities and
              > knowledgeable.

              We understand this and are not trying to talk down to you. We commend
              you for your interest in learning the Tengwar and want to make sure
              that you learn what is correct to the best of our understanding.