Personal Pleasure

  • Veiluve Ardaheru Minak
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 8, 2003
      Is it plausable that there are many more modes of tengwar writing in
      the universe of middle-earth. By that I mean would it be against
      the "rules let say" to set up you own mode? if it varies little if
      any from any of Tolkien's.
      -Ve
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 8, 2003
        teithant Veiluve Ardaheru Minak

        > Is it plausable that there are many more modes of
        > tengwar writing in
        > the universe of middle-earth. By that I mean would
        > it be against
        > the "rules let say" to set up you own mode? if it
        > varies little if
        > any from any of Tolkien's.

        nope.. Tolkien himself says that Tengwar have been
        very flexible and adaptable...

        i don't rememebr if Tolkien said that, but some say in
        this list that Middle-earth was like the Middle-ages,
        and there was no 'standard' and 'fixed' spelling
        rules, o the tengwar usage was quite free and chaotic

        (however i have the impreion that we are supposed to
        use tengwar like the 'learned' ones of Middle-earth)

        i mut mention of course, that many more modes have
        been devised after Tolkien's death, for other
        languages, like French, Italian, German etc

        so, everyone is free to make his own system, but he is
        advised to learn and understand their structure and
        usage first

      • abrigon
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 9, 2003
          Much like many scripts that are used by a variety of peoples.

          Roman as we know it, has many forms than just the one in this post.
          From Roman, Roman Rustic, Gothic, Insular (sorry calligrapher),
          Artificial Roman and many more. Not including language like Japanese
          that using roman characters for some things in Japanese (Romanji).

          Then there is ones like Greek, that has had major influences on
          Roman/Latin forms, as well as Coptic, Cyrillic, Gothic (the germanic
          people and not the later letter forms from middle ages), and a few
          others. As well as Arabic letters, that have been used from everything
          from Phillipines, to Eastern Africa and Middle Asia as well.

          Mike