Re: various markings

  • xeeniseit
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 8, 2003
      Danny teithant:
      > >Yes I know that if the vowel stands alone you would
      > >use the long vowel holder, but when using it as
      > >a tehtar I put a dot underneath the consanant
      > >the vowel is placed above when long or drawn out,
      > >is this correct?
      >
      > This is only correct in some English modes. In Q and S tehta modes, a
      > long vowel tehta is placed over the long carrier. In Q (and Black
      > Speech), it is also possible to represent long e, o, u and i
      > by doubling the tehtar. This is seldom done for 'i', but it is attested.
      > It's probably okay to use doubled tehtar to represent long vowels in
      > Sindarin, but we have no examples. In the Sindrin mode of Beleriand, a
      > long vowel are marked with the acute accent ( ´ ) over the vowel
      > tengwa.

      And then there is that strange method of placing the long carrier
      under the tengwa which bears the tehta in DTS 51, the Old English mode
      with a tengwa-tehta order similar to the Quenya mode.

      I didn't know there were any doubled long i-sounds attested, very
      interesting. I'd be very glad to know where this is.

      suilaid
      xeeniseit
    • D. Daniel Andriës
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 8, 2003
        Teithant Alf:
        > I didn't know there were any doubled long i-sounds attested, very
        > interesting. I'd be very glad to know where this is.

        There is a fragment of 'Namárie' (listed as DTS55 by Mellonath Daeron)
        which represents all long consonants except 'á' by doubled tehtar.