Re: [elfscript] various markings

  • DDanielA@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 8 12:29 AM
      Teithant Veiluve Ardaheru Minak:
      >Do you have to show that a vowel is long when writing
      >tengwar.

      In the Eldarin languages, always.

      >Yes I know that if the vowel stands alone you would
      >use the long vowel holder, but when using it as
      >a tehtar I put a dot underneath the consanant
      >the vowel is placed above when long or drawn out,
      >is this correct?

      This is only correct in some English modes. In Q and S tehta modes, a
      long vowel tehta is placed over the long carrier. In Q (and Black
      Speech), it is also possible to represent long e, o, u and i
      by doubling the tehtar. This is seldom done for 'i', but it is attested.
      It's probably okay to use doubled tehtar to represent long vowels in
      Sindarin, but we have no examples. In the Sindrin mode of Beleriand, a
      long vowel are marked with the acute accent ( ´ ) over the vowel
      tengwa.

      >Also since I've noticed this very rare in (I'm just
      >going to say Elvish to cover both languages)
      >can s always be replaced if it falls after another
      >consanant?

      In Quenya, 's' following 'c', 'p', or 't' can be written as a downward
      hook. ('cs' is usually written as 'x' in Latin transcription.) AFAICR,
      these combinations don't exist in Sindarin. The hook can be used after
      any consonant in English. Actually, Tolkien used the hook even after
      vowels in some of his English modes.

      Cuio mae, Danny.
    • xeeniseit
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 8 5:01 AM
        Danny teithant:
        > >Yes I know that if the vowel stands alone you would
        > >use the long vowel holder, but when using it as
        > >a tehtar I put a dot underneath the consanant
        > >the vowel is placed above when long or drawn out,
        > >is this correct?
        >
        > This is only correct in some English modes. In Q and S tehta modes, a
        > long vowel tehta is placed over the long carrier. In Q (and Black
        > Speech), it is also possible to represent long e, o, u and i
        > by doubling the tehtar. This is seldom done for 'i', but it is attested.
        > It's probably okay to use doubled tehtar to represent long vowels in
        > Sindarin, but we have no examples. In the Sindrin mode of Beleriand, a
        > long vowel are marked with the acute accent ( ´ ) over the vowel
        > tengwa.

        And then there is that strange method of placing the long carrier
        under the tengwa which bears the tehta in DTS 51, the Old English mode
        with a tengwa-tehta order similar to the Quenya mode.

        I didn't know there were any doubled long i-sounds attested, very
        interesting. I'd be very glad to know where this is.

        suilaid
        xeeniseit
      • D. Daniel Andriës
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 8 1:10 PM
          Teithant Alf:
          > I didn't know there were any doubled long i-sounds attested, very
          > interesting. I'd be very glad to know where this is.

          There is a fragment of 'Namárie' (listed as DTS55 by Mellonath Daeron)
          which represents all long consonants except 'á' by doubled tehtar.