Re: [elfscript] under-tilde

  • DDanielA@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 8, 2003
      Teithant Veiluve Ardaheru Minak:
      >Now when I write tengwar and run across double
      >letters I always use the under-tilde to express the
      >second letter. Is this consistant because in some
      >instances they are written out.

      The only instance that I am aware of where a double consonant is written
      out in full is the 'll' in _mellon_ on the Doors of Durin. This is in
      the mode of Beleriand. In all other attested modes which exhibit double
      consonants (except JRRT's Old English modes), the under-tilde or
      under-bar is used. In the Old English modes, two small diagonal strokes
      form the double consonant tehta. In the KL mode for English, the
      under-tilde is even used under vowels to indicate doubling (e.g. 'see').