under-tilde

  • Veiluve Ardaheru Minak
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 7 8:15 AM
      I love tilde questions:
      Now when I write tengwar and run across double letters I always use
      the under-tilde to express the second letter. Is this consistant
      because in some instances they are written out.
      -Ve
    • DDanielA@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 8 12:14 AM
        Teithant Veiluve Ardaheru Minak:
        >Now when I write tengwar and run across double
        >letters I always use the under-tilde to express the
        >second letter. Is this consistant because in some
        >instances they are written out.

        The only instance that I am aware of where a double consonant is written
        out in full is the 'll' in _mellon_ on the Doors of Durin. This is in
        the mode of Beleriand. In all other attested modes which exhibit double
        consonants (except JRRT's Old English modes), the under-tilde or
        under-bar is used. In the Old English modes, two small diagonal strokes
        form the double consonant tehta. In the KL mode for English, the
        under-tilde is even used under vowels to indicate doubling (e.g. 'see').