Re: [elfscript] OT: Re: Finnish with Beleriandic luuvar meanings?

  • John Cowan
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 7, 2003
      xeeniseit scripsit:

      > It's a southern German dialect. I didn't know that our orthography
      > is sharing some features with Chinese transcription systems!

      Absolutely. The "b" in Beijing, for instance, represents an unvoiced
      sound; "p" is the same sound but with following aspiration, essentially
      an "h". Some dialects of English are pronounced this way as well, notably
      Australian.

      --
      John Cowan http://www.ccil.org/~cowan cowan@...
      To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all. There