OT: Re: Finnish with Beleriandic luuvar meanings?

  • xeeniseit
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 7 4:30 AM
      I wrote:
      > > In my language it's different, because we use the
      d/b/g-letters to write the (short) t/p/k-sounds.

      John Cowan wrote:
      > What language is that? Sounds like Chinese.

      It's a southern German dialect. I didn't know that our orthography
      is sharing some features with Chinese transcription systems!

      suilaid
      xeeniseit
    • John Cowan
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 7 4:42 AM
        xeeniseit scripsit:

        > It's a southern German dialect. I didn't know that our orthography
        > is sharing some features with Chinese transcription systems!

        Absolutely. The "b" in Beijing, for instance, represents an unvoiced
        sound; "p" is the same sound but with following aspiration, essentially
        an "h". Some dialects of English are pronounced this way as well, notably
        Australian.

        --
        John Cowan http://www.ccil.org/~cowan cowan@...
        To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all. There