Re: nasalisation bar

  • DDanielA@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2003
      Teithant xeeniseit:
      >Of course, this could only occur in a mode which
      >doesn't use the subscript bar as a doubling
      >sign. So the only modes of Tolkien where I
      >could imagine such a postnasalisation are his
      >English modes that don't follow Traditional
      >Orthography,
      >Do you think the use of the subscript bar as a
      >postnasalisation sign would be possible in these
      >modes?

      Well, if you're designing a 'pesonal' tengwar mode, you are free to do
      what you want, but I would view and under-bar/tilde representing
      postnasalisation to be confusing and very un-Tolkienian. In a strictly
      phonemic mode for English, I would the underbar to represent true double
      consonant sounds (i.e. númen + under-bar for 'penknife', quesse +
      under-bar for 'bookkeeper'.)

      Cuio mae, Danny.
    • xeeniseit
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2003
        Danny teithant:
        > In a strictly
        > phonemic mode for English, I would the underbar to represent true double
        > consonant sounds (i.e. númen + under-bar for 'penknife', quesse +
        > under-bar for 'bookkeeper'.)

        I always thought that the doubling underbar is only to be used within
        one word, and not between two words in compounds. If it were as I
        suppose, then no phonemic English mode would repuire it. I.e. it would
        be free for other meanings.

        suilaid
        xeeniseit