nasalisation bar

  • xeeniseit
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3 6:47 AM
      All attested samples of the nasalisation bar express a prenasalisation
      and are placed upon the tengwar of the nasalised sound (e.g. nt, mp,
      etc.). But I could also think of postnasalisations (as 'tn' in
      brightness, or 'dn' in sudden) expressed by a bar below the tengwa. Of
      course, this could only occur in a mode which doesn't use the
      subscript bar as a doubling sign. So the only modes of Tolkien where I
      could imagine such a postnasalisation are his English modes that don't
      follow Traditional Orthography, i.e. the modes used for the 'Bombadil'
      transcrption (DTS 18) and for the 'Treebeard page' (DTS 24). Do you
      think the use of the subscript bar as a postnasalisation sign would be
      possible in these modes?

      suilaid
      xeeniseit
    • DDanielA@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3 11:01 AM
        Teithant xeeniseit:
        >Of course, this could only occur in a mode which
        >doesn't use the subscript bar as a doubling
        >sign. So the only modes of Tolkien where I
        >could imagine such a postnasalisation are his
        >English modes that don't follow Traditional
        >Orthography,
        >Do you think the use of the subscript bar as a
        >postnasalisation sign would be possible in these
        >modes?

        Well, if you're designing a 'pesonal' tengwar mode, you are free to do
        what you want, but I would view and under-bar/tilde representing
        postnasalisation to be confusing and very un-Tolkienian. In a strictly
        phonemic mode for English, I would the underbar to represent true double
        consonant sounds (i.e. númen + under-bar for 'penknife', quesse +
        under-bar for 'bookkeeper'.)

        Cuio mae, Danny.
      • xeeniseit
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4 12:33 AM
          Danny teithant:
          > In a strictly
          > phonemic mode for English, I would the underbar to represent true double
          > consonant sounds (i.e. númen + under-bar for 'penknife', quesse +
          > under-bar for 'bookkeeper'.)

          I always thought that the doubling underbar is only to be used within
          one word, and not between two words in compounds. If it were as I
          suppose, then no phonemic English mode would repuire it. I.e. it would
          be free for other meanings.

          suilaid
          xeeniseit