Re: [elfscript] phonemic english tengwar

  • Lisa Star
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 30, 2001
      >From: jonathan wust <choni@...>

      >Lisa wrote:

      >Well, my point or my opinion is that -while speaking- people with any
      >english accent understand each other (more or less). So this should also be
      >possible while writing. And the same thing with the homophones: In spoken
      >language, you dont differenciate them at all, but still, theres no problem
      >about it.

      **There is a broad effect in that peole can be much more loose with their
      language in speaking than they can in writing because if their message is
      not clear when speaking, their listeners can ask for clarification on the
      spot. This is the reason that written speech is expected or required to be
      a little more precise than spoken speech, in both the use of grammar and in
      pronunciation/spelling. It is also the reason for the difference in
      spelling of some homophones--there isn't any historical reason for the
      difference between son and sun, for example.

      >Arent there kind of standardized pronounciation for english?

      **Um, no. There is a standard British English and a standard American
      English, but not many Brits or Americans use them, not to mention all the
      Jamaicans, Irish, etc, who have their own accents. But my concern was more
      with people who don't speak English well (as well as you do, apparently).
      It is difficult for me to struggle through English spelled with a heavy
      Russian or French accent, and I don't think non-natives would appreciate my
      colloquial pronunciation of English if they had to try to read it in
      tengwar.

      **I suppose we could all amuse ourselves by trying to write English in
      tengwar, using various accents.

      >Ive heard about a 'new english alphabet' created by Tolkien. Does anybody
      >know if you can find it somewhere in the net?

      **As far as I know, only a few words were published in Tolkien: Artist and
      Illustrator, not enough to provide a complete alphabet.

      >It would be interesting to know these studies.

      **They weren't very interesting. I'm kind of sorry I wasted as much time as
      I did studying other people's tengwar modes. It was just surprising to see
      that no two people agreed, though they all seemed to have fairly good
      reasons for what they did. I personally would stick to the mode that
      Tolkien used on the title page of LotR, because it is the most widely
      available, and is actually for English.

      ** Lisa Star
      ** LisaStar@...