Re: Devanagari: An Inspiration for the Tengwar?

  • abrigon
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 31, 2003
      We do need to remember Prof Tolkien was raised in part in South
      Africa, that has a large east indian population, atleast one time.. It
      is also where Gandhi learned a bit of his lawyer ways..

      Not likely the Prof and Ganghi knew each other, but they had some
      similar exposure in a same time/place..

      Also seen in one of my books, a script by another English professor
      that looks alot like the later Tengwar.. Not sure of it's origin and
      all..

      Mike
    • John Cowan
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 1 3:07 AM
        abrigon scripsit:

        > We do need to remember Prof Tolkien was raised in part in South
        > Africa, that has a large east indian population, atleast one time.. It
        > is also where Gandhi learned a bit of his lawyer ways..

        Tolkien was born in S.A. and left there at age 4. Gandhi arrived at age
        23 and left at age 44. Not much common ground there!

        --
        John Cowan http://www.ccil.org/~cowan cowan@...
        To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all. There