Re: Question about spelling phonetically for English mode of writing using Tengwar

  • Michelle
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 25, 2003
      xeeniseit wrote:

      > The best attested mode by J.R.R. Tolkien (at least in
      > the published texts) is a phonemic (rather than
      > phonetic) mode for English.

      Thank you for clarifying this for me - I was getting a little
      confused.

      > it may be called
      > 'Bombadil' mode. It sticks to Received Pronunciation,
      > and I consider that this example should be followed in
      > order to have a standard. AFAIK the best description
      > of this mode is found in Chris McKay's 'Tengwar
      > Textbook' on page 22 and 23.

      This is the very book I am learning from & working through so I was
      able to put my hands on the pages you mentioned immediately - thank
      you (glad to know the page I had earmarked is what others use & is
      the best to be guided by).

      > The major samples of that mode are found here:

      I will look at your web addresses for samples. This will help.

      Good to know that spelling of my name 'Mishel' was intially right - I
      don't need to look any deeper & I have a handle on how to do it.

      Many thanks,

      Michelle