Re: odd tehta in DTS 41

  • xeeniseit
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 17, 2003
      Arden R. Smith wrote:

      > >I didn't know that, but as far as I know, at least all (published)
      > >phonemic tengwar samples make that distinction.
      >
      > I'm not saying that he never made such a distinction, of course, I'm
      > just saying that he very frequently did not. The distinction seems
      > to have been made more often in modes in which vowels are represented
      > by full letters than in "tehta modes".

      That means there are tehtar modes that use the subscript dot for both the
      schwa sound and the "but"-sound; and that there are also few samples of "fu=
      ll
      writing" which use a common sign for both?

      > It wasn't actually in a word, but rather in a discussion of how to
      > represent English vowel sounds by means of tehtar, where he describes
      > the sound in question as the "er" sound, specifically <i>, <e>, and
      > <u> when they occur before <r>, pronounced as schwa. This would mean
      > words like "bird", "stern", and "burn", though Tolkien doesn't give
      > any sample words.

      And I suppose he neither says anything about the vowel of "but"? And what
      does he say about the order of tengwa and tehtar? That's also a point he wa=
      tinkering with, after all in that late period (DTS 58, 41, 39).

      > If Tolkien had been satisfied with the very first version of the
      > Alphabet of RĂºmil and never invented another Elvish alphabet, there
      > would be precious little traffic on the elfscript list!

      Neither would there be one of the world's most ingenious writing system wit=
      that beautiful interrelation between characteristics of sounds and of lette=
      rs!

      sincerly
      xeeniseit