Re: [elfling] Re: Oore, roomen, halla, etc

  • Mans Bjorkman
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2001
      BP Jonsson wrote:

      > >Måns Björkman wrote:
      > >
      > >I think Melroch's interpretation must be essentially correct. But I miss
      > >the <halla>, which would incidentally require a way of distinguishing [h]
      > >and [x] in the table; and wouldn't it be a rather safe bet to exclude
      > ><hwesta sindarinwa>?
      >
      > You are absolutely right: I should replace Hwesta Sindarinwa with
      > Halla! Personally I doubt that [h] and [x] were distinct phonemes in
      > Feanorin Quenya, but Halla is needed to write voiceless _hr_ and _hl_.

      I agree that [h] and [x] were probably allophones at all stages of
      Quenya's development, though one might get the impression, from the
      wording in Appendix E, that the two sounds were distinguished in writing
      from the beginning. Later initial [h] was written with <hyarmen>, while
      medial [x] would apparently be written with <aha>.

      The recent <óre>/<rómen> discussion has had me pondering if Feanor's
      original "mode" were in some respects phonetic rather than phonemic --
      perhaps Feanor's interest in the "practical and decorative aspects" of
      writing got the better of him. Or perhaps his phonemic analysis was
      simply flawed, though I guess this is unlikely.

      > >Any particular reason why you arranged the table the way you did?
      >
      > Yes. The image becomes very nearly a square and displays better in a Web
      > browser!

      A very good reason, if I may say so.

      > Beztum kveðjum,
      > Benedikt