French tengwar

  • DDanielA@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 24, 2001
      I have seen about five different systems for transcribing French! Two
      full writing modes, two tehta modes with vowel tehtar over the following
      consonant tengwar, and at least one with the vowel tehtar over the
      preceding consonants. (A note here: when using ómatehtar, it is
      logical to use them over the preceding consonant in most Romance
      languages, but, because of the structure of the language, French is the
      exception.) They differ considerably in handling nasal vowels and silent
      consonants. One full writing mode, based on the Mode of Beleriand,
      doesn't show any difference between nasalising 'n' and sonant 'n', nor
      does it mark any differences between mute and sounded consonants...but
      then again, neither does written French! As for which is the best one
      for transcribing French, that's a question probably best answered by
      Didier Willis, Edouard Kloczko, or one of the other native Francophone
      Eldarin linguists.

      Cuio mae, Danny.
    • Jeremie Knusel
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 11, 2001