Re: [elfscript] =)

  • DDanielA@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 28, 2003
      Teithant Silvia:
      >I'd like to get my name (Silvia) translated in sindarin
      >but dunno who i could ask to!
      i found a
      >site where u can do that but im not sure thats
      >reliable! its:
      >http://www.barrowdowns.com/middleearthname.asp?Size=

      The Barrow Downs 'name translator' does not give accurate translations
      of names; its disclaimer states as much.
      The Quenya Lapseparma gives _Taurie_ as a Quenya translation of Silvia,
      and that seems apt since Q _taure_ = L 'silva'. So for Sindarin, I would
      recommend using _taur_ + a feminine ending, like _-eth_, _-wen_, _-ien_,
      or _-iel_. E.g. _Tauriel_, literally 'forest daughter' ... rather nice,
      I think!

      Cuio mae, Danny.
    • Mike <abrigon@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2003
        Well phonetics, otherwise known as sounds and like..

        you can do script like English where there is one sign for 1-3 sounds,
        or you can do one charcater for one sound.

        Major thing is that Tengwar seems to be based on where the sound is in
        the human mouth (or elves mouth)..

        With platal - upper mouth, medial - middle of the mouth, and then
        lower part. also with dental - some part of the sound is made at the
        teeth. And then you have explosives, they are sounds that sort of
        explode from the mouth.

        Then there is voiced and voiceless. One has a vibration the other does
        not.. Bath the "th" is voiceless, while "th"en is voiced.

        Then you add things like glottals and stuff. Glottals are in the back
        part of your mouth (your upper throat).

        Fricative? Velar and more.. I expect you can find a book on the
        subject and the chart for where different sounds fit in the mouth,
        most use the international phoentic alphabet (wierd characters that
        look like roman (what we use for English) but are not normal.

        Mike

        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Stacey Spainhour <spain772001@y...>