Need some help

  • winterm7@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2003
      WEll I tried to figure out how to translate a phrase but got totally lost
      between the different languages. THere are so many different sites out there
      that have translations but I'm not sure which ones are the best. Can you
      point me in the right direction?

      This was the phrase I was trying to translate into Sindarin.

      "To wherever it may lead"

      How to say it phonetically would be great too or if you can point me to a
      site so I can try it myself that would be fine to. Thanks

      Winter
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 28, 2003
        teithant winterm7@...

        > WEll I tried to figure out how to translate a phrase
        > but got totally lost
        > between the different languages. THere are so many
        > different sites out there
        > that have translations but I'm not sure which ones
        > are the best. Can you
        > point me in the right direction?

        ah, the mot recommended wordlists for each language
        are two:
        http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/wordlists.htm
        and
        http://www.geocities.com/almacq.geo/sindar/index.html

        no more confusion ;D

        > This was the phrase I was trying to translate into
        > Sindarin.
        >
        > "To wherever it may lead"

        unfortunately we don't have the words 'however' and
        'may' in Sindarin :/ i hope someone else can tell you

        > How to say it phonetically would be great too or if
        > you can point me to a
        > site so I can try it myself that would be fine to.

        look for 'English Tengwar Modes'

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2003
          English last I heard was SVO (Subject, Verb, and Object)..
          But not all lingos are like this..

          Subject= The Man.
          Verb=Walks to
          Object=The Store.

          Or

          To whereever it may lead.

          Lead = Verb?

          To go where ever it leads?

          Mike

        • Mike <abrigon@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2003
            Also might check out the

            Elfling list on yahoogroups.. They are more into linguistics than
            Elfscript.

            Mike
          • Mike <abrigon@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1, 2003
              Just remmber, just cause English does not normally change how words
              are depending on their place in a sentance, some languages do change
              how the word is spelled or used..

              Such as German, Ich Bin, or Du Bist. I am/be, you am/are. Sier Sind =
              They are/am..

              Mike