=)

  • Silvia <syl_wood@yahoo.it>
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2003
      thank u everybody!
      I'd like to get my name (Silvia) translated in sindarin but dunno who
      i could ask to!
      i found a site where u can do that but im not sure thats reliable!
      its:
      http://www.barrowdowns.com/middleearthname.asp?Size=

      syl
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 27, 2003
        teithant "Silvia <syl_wood@...>"

        > I'd like to get my name (Silvia) translated in
        > sindarin but dunno who
        > i could ask to!
        > i found a site where u can do that but im not sure
        > thats reliable!
        > its:
        > http://www.barrowdowns.com/middleearthname.asp?Size=

        Hi Silvia
        please have a look at http://www.elvish.org/elm/names.html

      • Stacey Spainhour
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 27, 2003
          how do i put the alphabet together with phonetics? this seems to be a mystery to me.
          "Silvia <syl_wood@...>" <syl_wood@...> wrote:thank u everybody!
          I'd like to get my name (Silvia) translated in sindarin but dunno who
          i could ask to!
          i found a site where u can do that but im not sure thats reliable!
          its:
          http://www.barrowdowns.com/middleearthname.asp?Size=

          syl

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 28, 2003
            Teithant Silvia:
            >I'd like to get my name (Silvia) translated in sindarin
            >but dunno who i could ask to!
            i found a
            >site where u can do that but im not sure thats
            >reliable! its:
            >http://www.barrowdowns.com/middleearthname.asp?Size=

            The Barrow Downs 'name translator' does not give accurate translations
            of names; its disclaimer states as much.
            The Quenya Lapseparma gives _Taurie_ as a Quenya translation of Silvia,
            and that seems apt since Q _taure_ = L 'silva'. So for Sindarin, I would
            recommend using _taur_ + a feminine ending, like _-eth_, _-wen_, _-ien_,
            or _-iel_. E.g. _Tauriel_, literally 'forest daughter' ... rather nice,
            I think!

            Cuio mae, Danny.
          • Mike <abrigon@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1 9:30 PM
              Well phonetics, otherwise known as sounds and like..

              you can do script like English where there is one sign for 1-3 sounds,
              or you can do one charcater for one sound.

              Major thing is that Tengwar seems to be based on where the sound is in
              the human mouth (or elves mouth)..

              With platal - upper mouth, medial - middle of the mouth, and then
              lower part. also with dental - some part of the sound is made at the
              teeth. And then you have explosives, they are sounds that sort of
              explode from the mouth.

              Then there is voiced and voiceless. One has a vibration the other does
              not.. Bath the "th" is voiceless, while "th"en is voiced.

              Then you add things like glottals and stuff. Glottals are in the back
              part of your mouth (your upper throat).

              Fricative? Velar and more.. I expect you can find a book on the
              subject and the chart for where different sounds fit in the mouth,
              most use the international phoentic alphabet (wierd characters that
              look like roman (what we use for English) but are not normal.

              Mike

              --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Stacey Spainhour <spain772001@y...>