Translation critique/correction?

  • brigathc <linkm@convergent.com>
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 19, 2003
      Hello,

      I was wondering if anyone would be willing to take a look at a
      novice's attempt to translate an english phrase into Quenya and
      offer suggestions on where I may have gone wrong. I'm trying to
      translate the sentence "I will not forsake the child in my spirit."
      I've been using links from Ardalambian to come up with my
      translation. Mainly the Quenya Corpus Wordlist and the analysis
      of "Firiel's Song" and "The Markirya Poem"

      Here's the Quenya that I ended up with, and a brief explanation of
      how I arrived at it.

      Úhetavan i hina mi fëanya.

      Úhetavan -
      The word "Hehta-" is listed in the Quenya Corpus Wordlist as
      meaning "put aside, leave out, exclude, abandon, forsake." Adding "-
      va" as the future tense ending and "-n" as the pronomial ending
      indicating "I", I come up with "I will forsake." Add to that the
      negative prefix "ú-" and hopefully I've successfully said "I will
      not forsake"

      i hina mi -
      Pretty much straight from the word list "i" for "the", "hina"
      for "child", and "mi" for "in".

      fëanya -
      "fëa" for Spirit, adding the first person possessive ending "-nya"

      Thanks in advance for any assistance!

      Matthew
    • brigathc <linkm@convergent.com>
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 21, 2003
        Ooops! My apologies for cluttering the group. I just realized I
        should have posted this on elfling instead of elfscript.

        Sorry!

        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "brigathc <linkm@c...>"
        <linkm@c...> wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I was wondering if anyone would be willing to take a look at a
        > novice's attempt to translate an english phrase into Quenya and
        [SNIP]
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 21, 2003
          > I was wondering if anyone would be willing to take a look at a novice's
          attempt to translate an english phrase into Quenya and offer suggestions
          on where I may have gone wrong. I'm trying to translate the sentence "I
          will not forsake the child in my spirit."

          I should say: _Úvan hehta i hína fairenyassë_ or _Lá hehtuvan i hína
          fairenyassë._

          _Fea_ is "soul" rather than "spirit"; I would go for _faire_. Using the
          prefix _ú-_ to express negation also seems to be rather unusual (though
          maybe not so in Sindarin). The locative ending _-ssë_ can be used instead
          of the preposition _mi_.

          Yours,
          Helge Fauskanger
        • brigathc <linkm@convergent.com>