? about Tengwar of Moria Doors

  • knightsfoil <paulbm@Juno.com>
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 16, 2003
      Ok, I have a question about the inscription, (which should be about
      page 298, or 12 pages into "A Journey Into The Dark" in LOTR)
      The first portion of the inscription reads: "Ennyn Durin Atan Moria:
      pedo mellon a minno". The Tengwar letter for 't' in 'Atan' and the
      letter 'r' in 'Moria' (& Durin) look identical. Is there a
      difference, and what is it?

      Thanks,

      Paul
    • Karyn Traphagen
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 16, 2003
        > From: knightsfoil <paulbm@...> [mailto:paulbm@...]
        > Ok, I have a question about the inscription, (which should be about
        > page 298, or 12 pages into "A Journey Into The Dark" in LOTR)
        > The first portion of the inscription reads: "Ennyn Durin Atan Moria:
        > pedo mellon a minno". The Tengwar letter for 't' in 'Atan' and the
        > letter 'r' in 'Moria' (& Durin) look identical. Is there a
        > difference, and what is it?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Paul

        I believe that the transcription should really be read as "Ennyn Durin
        Aran Moria pedo mellon a minno"....so all the tengwar you are looking at
        are actually the same. They are all rómen.

        Karyn
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 17, 2003
          teithant "knightsfoil <paulbm@...>"

          > The first portion of the inscription reads: "Ennyn
          > Durin Atan Moria:
          > pedo mellon a minno". The Tengwar letter for 't' in
          > 'Atan' and the
          > letter 'r' in 'Moria' (& Durin) look identical. Is
          > there a
          > difference, and what is it?

          it's r, not t.. it's aran not atan.. there is no
          medial t in sindarin

          so, there is no difference :)

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 17, 2003
            Ah, yes, thanks! I was so focused on the Tengwar I didn't notice I
            confused the English cursive script!

            http://www.otenet.gr