New here!

  • liv_karna <Karna_e@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 15, 2003
      Hi I'm a girl from Sweden that's obsessed with the Tolkien world.
      Especially the languages, and I was really excited when I found this
      group!

      I have a question that I hope someone can help me answer. Me and my
      sister is getting a tattoo that says:
      Muinthel nín, mellon nín, an uir
      My sister, my friend, forever

      The problem is that I want to have it properly printed in Sindarin
      letters (caligraphy) and I was hoping that someone could help me with
      the translatin, or to link me to someone who can.

      Namarië, Liv
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 15, 2003
        teithant "liv_karna <Karna_e@...>"

        > I have a question that I hope someone can help me
        > answer. Me and my
        > sister is getting a tattoo that says:
        > Muinthel nνn, mellon nνn, an uir
        > My sister, my friend, forever

        i'd suggest meldis instead of mellon.. which is
        feminine

        > The problem is that I want to have it properly
        > printed in Sindarin
        > letters (caligraphy) and I was hoping that someone
        > could help me with
        > the translatin, or to link me to someone who can.

        (transcription you mean)

        y.Õ63lj 6`V6= ylj2`8 6`V6= ]6 .Õ7 (view
        it with in Word or Worpad with a Tengwar font)

        check also www.forodrim.org/daeron/teng_primers.html

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 16, 2003
          > I have a question that I hope someone can help me answer. Me and my
          sister is getting a tattoo that says:
          Muinthel nín, mellon nín, an uir
          My sister, my friend, forever

          Transcribing this to Tengwar is easy. But some would insist that _mellon_
          refers to a male friend, since the ending _-on_ is masculine. _Meldis_ is
          attested as a word for "(female) friend".

          - HKF
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 16, 2003
            I just wrote:

            > Transcribing this to Tengwar is easy. But some would insist that _mellon_
            refers to a male friend, since the ending _-on_ is masculine. _Meldis_ is
            attested as a word for "(female) friend".

            I see Gildor agrees...and he responded faster! :)

            - HKF