Nine (was Re: [elfscript] "Strength" Tattoo and Elven numerals)

  • Brook Conner
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 10, 2003
      On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 09:54 PM, John C. S. wrote:
      >> Thirdly, I was wondering about Elvish numbers. Are they the same in
      >> Quenya and Sindarin?
      >
      > I'm sorry but I do not know if the numerals are different. I believe
      > the
      > tengwar would be like,

      The tengwar are the same, assuming you're writing the digits, not
      spelling out the words.

      Like the difference between "5" (the digit), "five" (the word in
      English) and "cinco" (the word in Spanish).

      > but the pronunciation and actual words would
      > *probably* be different. (I don't know Sindarin numerals, sorry).

      Quenya 9 is nertë

      Sindarin 9 is neder

      See http://ardalambion.com/vocab.htm

      Counting in Elvish is also a FAQ. See