"Strength" Tattoo and Elven numerals

  • John C. S.
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 10, 2003
      >What would be the better language to get the tattoo in, or does it
      >matter?

      This is a very tentative answer and may not be right to this question, but I
      believe for that sort of word, in that sense, it would be best to use Quenya
      simply for the fact that it seems to have a larger vocabulary. I have not
      studied Sindarin, only observed outer details from the Elfling list, but
      have studied Quenya, and it may hold your best hope. Otherwise, if the word
      is in both languages, it does not matter which you choose. Sindarin is the
      vernacular of Middle-Earth Elves, whereas Quenya is the vernacular of Elves
      in the Blessed Realm, and is used only ceremonially in Middle-Earth. As far
      as I know, Galadriel only speaks Quenya with Celeborn, not to her people,
      because they generally would not understand her.

      >Thirdly, I was wondering about Elvish numbers. Are they the same in
      >Quenya and Sindarin?

      I'm sorry but I do not know if the numerals are different. I believe the
      tengwar would be like, but the pronunciation and actual words would
      *probably* be different. (I don't know Sindarin numerals, sorry).

      >I heard the cast from the movie (the 9 actors in
      >the Fellowship) have the Tengwar numeral 9 somewhere on their bodies.
      >Thank you all for reading.

      As far as your question about movie tattoos, the actors got a tattoo on
      their ankles. It was NOT the tengwar numeral for 9, but English written in
      a mode of tengwar spelling the word "nine."

      Yours Truly,
      John

    • Brook Conner
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 10, 2003
        On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 09:54 PM, John C. S. wrote:
        >> Thirdly, I was wondering about Elvish numbers. Are they the same in
        >> Quenya and Sindarin?
        >
        > I'm sorry but I do not know if the numerals are different. I believe
        > the
        > tengwar would be like,

        The tengwar are the same, assuming you're writing the digits, not
        spelling out the words.

        Like the difference between "5" (the digit), "five" (the word in
        English) and "cinco" (the word in Spanish).

        > but the pronunciation and actual words would
        > *probably* be different. (I don't know Sindarin numerals, sorry).

        Quenya 9 is nertë

        Sindarin 9 is neder

        See http://ardalambion.com/vocab.htm

        Counting in Elvish is also a FAQ. See