Diacritical Marks

  • Mike Adams
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 23, 2001
      Circumflex and like, I know in Arabic and Hebrew they use them, but
      mostly only to show vowels for those learning the lingo, or for lingos
      that are not Semetic, such as how the Turks used to use it, as well as
      other lingos like Farsi.

      Any way this could happen? Does Quenya or Sindarian and like, really
      need vowel signs or .. I think they do, but ..

      Mike

      --
      If you love humor of an adult nature, or just love to share it
      with people then check out my humor list either by joining by

    • Vincent van 't Hof
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 24, 2001
        On 23 Mar 2001, at 22:45, Mike Adams wrote:

        >Circumflex and like, I know in Arabic and Hebrew they use them, but
        >mostly only to show vowels for those learning the lingo, or for lingos
        >that are not Semetic, such as how the Turks used to use it, as well as
        >other lingos like Farsi.
        >
        >Any way this could happen? Does Quenya or Sindarian and like, really
        >need vowel signs or .. I think they do, but ..

        A note in appendix E of LotR says:

        "In Quenya in which /a/ was very frequent, its vowel sign was often
        omitted altogether. Thus for /calma/ 'lamp' clm could be written. This
        would naturally read as /calma/, since cl was not in Quenya a possible
        initial combination, and /m/ never occured finally. A possible reading
        was /calama/, but no such word existed."

        So I guess at least in Quenya vowels can be left out, provided it
        doesn't lead to confusion.

        Vincent van 't Hof.