Re: [elfscript] Newly joined

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 6, 2003
      > My fascination with Quenya specifically, has lead me to many sites. I'm
      primarily interested in the vocalization and writting so a dictionary would
      be helpful. I'm yet to find an 'official'dictionary!

      There is no "official" dictionary out there. Tolkien never produced a
      "definite" version of Quenya, much less a complete dictionary to go with
      it.

      Nonetheless, I have compiled some fairly comprehensive Quenya wordlists
      which you can download from here:

      http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/wordlists.htm

      But these wordlists will tell you nothing about the Tengwar or the other
      scripts, which some would insist is the proper topic for this list...

      - Helge Fauskanger
    • jadeedrie <jadeedrie@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 6, 2003
        Thanks, Helge. *S*

        I have one more question to ask, how does one write in either in
        Quenam Sindarin in words and not in calligraphy? Is there a website
        that tells me or no??

        Curious to know..

        JadeEdrie

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 6, 2003
          teithant "jadeedrie <jadeedrie@...>"

          > I have one more question to ask, how does one write
          > in either in
          > Quenam Sindarin in words and not in calligraphy? Is
          > there a website
          > that tells me or no??

          can you explain the idea behind words vs calligraphy concept?

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 6, 2003
            I just answered my own question. *S*

            Does anyone know is there a dictionary of sorts other than in Quenya
            that is in Sardarin? also too, in which language does the Elves in
            Rivendell speak? Sindarin right or no??

            jadeedrie

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 7, 2003
              teithant "jadeedrie <jadeedrie@...>"

              > Does anyone know is there a dictionary of sorts
              > other than in Quenya
              > that is in Sardarin? also too, in which language
              > does the Elves in
              > Rivendell speak? Sindarin right or no??

              SINDARIN, and yes, it's the common elvish in Rivendell
              (but they speak Quenya sometimes also)

              http://www.jrrvf.com/%7Ehisweloke/sindar/documents/download.html
              do download a sindarin dictionary

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 7, 2003
                Thank you so much, elfiness. That really helps me alot. *S*

              • Mike <abrigon@yahoo.com>
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 9, 2003
                  Calligraphy = beautiful writing, sort of a form of hand writing, but
                  more specifically letters written for artistic purposes, versus
                  scribed or enscribed. Then their is written, which is your normal hand
                  writing. And then their is printed, which I think what he is asking
                  about.. The letters above are all printed.

                  Sort of the different between someone using a printing press or like
                  device, versus someone writing out the letters, versus writing the
                  letters out for beauty.

                  Can be fun when you add things like carved, as well as illuminated.

                  Carved, such as carved into stone, while illuminated is more the art
                  work around the calligraphy letters, but can also be the letters
                  themselves, Arabic and like calligraphy pushes the boundary, such as
                  using letters to form animals.

                  Mike