Newly joined

  • jadeedrie <jadeedrie@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 6, 2003
      Another new follower of JRR Tolkien. I have read the Hobbit when I
      was young and picked it up again. After seeing both movies, the
      Fellowship and Two Towers, I just feel in love with Elvish language.
      So, I have a question to ask, is there some sort of dictionary that
      has the common tongue and Sindarin, Queyna and english?

      Just wondering,
      Jade
    • hibweh@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 6, 2003
        My fascination with Quenya specifically, has lead me to many sites. I'm primarily interested in the vocalization and writting so a dictionary would be helpful. I'm yet to find an 'official'dictionary!
        Good luck and when you find it .. please.. link!?!

        thanx
        ~
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 6, 2003
          > My fascination with Quenya specifically, has lead me to many sites. I'm
          primarily interested in the vocalization and writting so a dictionary would
          be helpful. I'm yet to find an 'official'dictionary!

          There is no "official" dictionary out there. Tolkien never produced a
          "definite" version of Quenya, much less a complete dictionary to go with
          it.

          Nonetheless, I have compiled some fairly comprehensive Quenya wordlists
          which you can download from here:

          http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/wordlists.htm

          But these wordlists will tell you nothing about the Tengwar or the other
          scripts, which some would insist is the proper topic for this list...

          - Helge Fauskanger
        • jadeedrie <jadeedrie@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 6, 2003
            Thanks, Helge. *S*

            I have one more question to ask, how does one write in either in
            Quenam Sindarin in words and not in calligraphy? Is there a website
            that tells me or no??

            Curious to know..

            JadeEdrie

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 6, 2003
              teithant "jadeedrie <jadeedrie@...>"

              > I have one more question to ask, how does one write
              > in either in
              > Quenam Sindarin in words and not in calligraphy? Is
              > there a website
              > that tells me or no??

              can you explain the idea behind words vs calligraphy concept?

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 6, 2003
                I just answered my own question. *S*

                Does anyone know is there a dictionary of sorts other than in Quenya
                that is in Sardarin? also too, in which language does the Elves in
                Rivendell speak? Sindarin right or no??

                jadeedrie

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 7, 2003
                  teithant "jadeedrie <jadeedrie@...>"

                  > Does anyone know is there a dictionary of sorts
                  > other than in Quenya
                  > that is in Sardarin? also too, in which language
                  > does the Elves in
                  > Rivendell speak? Sindarin right or no??

                  SINDARIN, and yes, it's the common elvish in Rivendell
                  (but they speak Quenya sometimes also)

                  http://www.jrrvf.com/%7Ehisweloke/sindar/documents/download.html
                  do download a sindarin dictionary

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 7, 2003
                    Thank you so much, elfiness. That really helps me alot. *S*

                  • Mike <abrigon@yahoo.com>
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 9, 2003
                      Calligraphy = beautiful writing, sort of a form of hand writing, but
                      more specifically letters written for artistic purposes, versus
                      scribed or enscribed. Then their is written, which is your normal hand
                      writing. And then their is printed, which I think what he is asking
                      about.. The letters above are all printed.

                      Sort of the different between someone using a printing press or like
                      device, versus someone writing out the letters, versus writing the
                      letters out for beauty.

                      Can be fun when you add things like carved, as well as illuminated.

                      Carved, such as carved into stone, while illuminated is more the art
                      work around the calligraphy letters, but can also be the letters
                      themselves, Arabic and like calligraphy pushes the boundary, such as
                      using letters to form animals.

                      Mike